Job Posting: Academic Coordinator - Upward Bound
|Closing Date||Position open until filled|
|Employment Type(s)||Full Time|
|Location||Beloit, Wisconsin, 53511|
The Academic Coordinator has primary responsibility for overseeing the tutoring program, academic advising, summer residential component and activities outside of the classroom. The Coordinator completes annual academic needs assessments, coordinates tutoring, mentoring and completes the individualized academic plans (IAP’s) for each student. This individual has primary responsibility for working on the frontline with students on a daily basis in meeting their academic needs. Hiring tutoring staff and summer staff, co-facilitating monthly workshops, assisting with recruitment and leading the freshmen trip are duties managed by the Academic Coordinator. This individual is also required to live in the residence hall during the summer session and supervises the resident assistants (tutor counselors) and all evening residential life activities. The position is grant funded and continuation of position is dependent upon grant renewal.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the tutoring component by hiring, training, and supervising college and/or high school tutors for all Upward Bound participants.
- Manage overall tutoring logistics including: identifying appropriate tutoring sites, managing student payroll, organizing tutor transportation.
- Meet one-on-one with program participants to better understand their academic needs.
- Document quarterly academic advising session reports with each student and create new strategies, as needed, for academic support.
- Assist with annual individualized plans for academic and personal support with each student based on the results of their annual assessment.
- Work with Assistant Director and Director to provide progress reports for parents/guardians and create new strategies, as needed, for the academic support of the student on a quarterly basis.
- Provide support to Assistant Director on advising parents and students on course selection for completion of secondary education and preparation for postsecondary education.
- Maintain contacts with target school personnel for coordination of services.
- Develop systems and procedures for monitoring student progress on a regular basis.
- Document student contacts and progress towards academic goals.
- Manage record-keeping for all tutoring and prepare reports on student tutoring hours, grades and overall participation.
- Assist in the development of the summer program.
- Train and supervise Tutor Counselors, including developing an orientation program utilizing the talents and abilities of professional staff.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or relevant field required.
- Minimum of one year of experience working with youth from disadvantaged backgrounds; low income, first generation.
- Experience and knowledge working with academic programs at a secondary school level.
- Experience working with diverse populations preferred; willingness to work with diverse populations required.
- Experience planning, organizing, and prioritizing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously with frequent interruptions is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software,Google apps, and the ability to learn other software relevant to duties.
- Experience working with grant funding and grant compliance is desired.
- A valid driver’s license and dependable transportation are required.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit your cover letter and resume to the link provided below.