Buccaneers shine bright in fall and winter sports season
We honor some extraordinary 2022-23 fall and winter Beloit athletes.
• The Midwest Conference (MWC) annual Women’s Soccer All-Conference team included four Beloiters. Sophomores Abbey Scott and Megan Thompson each secured a First Team spot, while fellow sophomore Grace Hartwig and senior Audrey Ketterer earned Second Team recognition. Beloit’s season ended in a hard-fought MWC Tournament Championship Game.
• Sophomore football defensive back Gavin Thorpe and sophomore wide receiver AJ Fitzpatrick landed on the MWC’s All-Conference Team. Gavin also received two All-Region honors.
• The women’s Buccaneers excelled at the Midwest Conference Championships diving competition, where Colleen Quinlivan earned a conference championship by finishing first in the 1-meter diving with 352.65 points. She also finished second in the 3-meter diving with 346.05 points, three points shy of first place, en route to being named MWC women’s diver of the year. Helena Harrison finished fourth and third in the 1-meter and 3-meter competitions with 303.10 and 334.20 points, respectively.
•Beloit junior Elizabeth Kalk serving as Beloit College’s lone selection on the Midwest Conference (MWC) women’s basketball all-conference team and her second consecutive season on the MWC’s Second Team.
• College senior Brandon Joly received the Roy W. LeClere Award, awarded annually to the MWC’s male scholar-athlete with the highest grade point average during his junior year. A soccer player and contributing member of the Buccaneers’ track & field team, Joly is just the second Beloit scholar-athlete to receive the award, with the other coming in 1995 (Josh Rosen).
• Beloit College Senior George Carlson ended his collegiate career in style over the weekend, as he received one of the Midwest Conference’s highest academic honors, the Men’s Swimming & Diving Elite 20 Award, given annually to the student-athlete with the highest cumulative grade point average, participating in their respective sport’s culminating championship or tournament event.
• Beloit College volleyball was the recipient of the Midwest Conference Sportsmanship Award, identified by league coaches for upholding the ideals of sportsmanship. Beloit’s volleyball team finished the season in a fifth-place tie in the conference standings, their highest finish in 12 years.
• Beloit cross-country teams ran their final race of the 2022 season at the NCAA Division-III Regional. Beloit’s women scored 1,024 team points, led by Carter Browne, who finished 193rd overall with a 6K time of 27:06.4. Marianna Carus and Simone De Montigny were the next Beloit runners to cross the finish line with times of 27:20.6 and 27:31.8, respectively. Aiden Cortinas led the men’s Buccaneers with an 8K time of 31:34.8, while Christan Bowers was second on the team with a time of 32:46.4.