The Powerhouse: Tomorrow’s Student Center
Beloit College is building a uniquely integrated student union, recreation center, and athletics facility, that will benefit generations of Beloit College students and the greater community. Repurposing the 20th century Blackhawk Generating Station on the Rock River into a 120,000-square-foot 21st century student center that will connect campus with community and emphasizes the city’s redevelopment efforts.
The Powerhouse will provide a spectacular space for Beloit students, faculty, staff, alumni and the community to come together to work, train, eat, and play. The first-of-its-kind facility in the country, it will interlace student life spaces with recreational facilities, further connect campus with the community, and preserve history while looking to the future. Smart, innovative, historic, economical, unique and award winning. How Beloitish is that?
The Powerhouse will include:
- Collaborative meeting rooms/seminar rooms/work tables
- Informal gathering spaces, nooks, hang-out space
- Indoor running/walking track
- Signature lecture hall/theater for presentations/films/receptions
- Competitive pool
- Fieldhouse with artificial turf floor
- Conference center
- Multiple fitness spaces
- Outdoor decks over the Rock River
- Health & Wellness Center
All that and more!
There’s a reason we’re calling it The Powerhouse.