This is a resource page for students who are already hired as tutors. (If you want to become a tutor, look here for complete information.)
Thank you for serving as a tutor for the Learning Enrichment and Disability Services. Below are some links, resources, and other items that might of interest or of assistance to you. We also encourage you to look through the "Related Services" and "Resources" pages on this web site.
Tutor Observation Sheet Spring 2016 - these are the areas we focus on during observations. Observations are NOT about criticism for individual tutors, but instead help us improve our overall tutoring services as a whole.
The National Tutoring Association is dedicated to providing its members with opportunities to achieve and maintain high professional standards for tutors and administrators of tutoring programs and services.
- I understand that my role as a tutor is to enable students to do their own work using the best learning approach possible.
- I will provide honest feedback in the form of positive praise and/or constructive suggestions to the student I serve in a manner that will be beneficial to their overall learning.
- I will demonstrate faith in my student's learning abilities.
- I understand that my relationship to the student is professional and not personal.
- I will show respect for my student's cultural background and personal value system.
- I recognize that I may not have all the answers to student questions. In this event, I will seek assistance in finding answers to the student's questions and/or direct the student to an appropriate resource for the information.
- I will maintain accurate records of tutoring sessions as expected and required.
- I will respect my student's personal dignity at all times.
- I will be on time for tutoring appointments, not only out of courtesy, but to be a good example for my student to follow.
- I will keep information about the student whom I am assigned confidential.
- I understand that my ultimate goal is to assist my student in discovering how he or she best learns and to help my student develop the skills to achieve his or her best educational outcome.
- I will share any concerns I have with my supervisor.
- I expect to learn along with my student.
- I will keep current in both my subject area(s) and learning methodologies.
- I will remain flexible to my approach to student learning, respectful of the various learning styles and preferences.
- I will share techniques for improved study skills with my students.
The National Tutoring Association Tutor Code of Ethics is copyrighted by the National Tutoring Association, all rights reserved 2003. The National Tutoring Association Code of Ethics may be reprinted with acknowledgment to The National Tutoring Association who owns all rights.