An internship is an excellent way to put the liberal arts into practice. Internships are a form of experiential learning in which you learn about a career that interests you through direct experience in that field. Internships are similar to summer or part-time jobs in some ways. However, internships are usually more substantial than part-time or summer jobs. There is a focus an an opportunity to reflect on the learning that takes place at your internship site. Types of internships vary widely; Internships can be done throughout the year, can be paid or unpaid, and are available locally, nationally, and internationally.
What are the benefits of an internship?
- Internships can help you learn a great deal about work environment, cultures, and supervisory styles. You can also build on intercultural and communication skills.
- Internships provide a medium to test the theories and principles learned in the classroom.
- Internships can be critical to helping students narrow down, and perhaps choose, a specific career direction.
- Employers value students who have demonstrated successful professional experience outside the classroom.
- Excellent performance in an internship can result in a full-time offer from an employer.
Contact us to discuss internship opportunities and begin the search process. Our staff is here to assist you!
Beloit College offers many summer internship and research opportunities for its students.