Field Experience Program
What is the Field Experience Grant Program
The Field Experience Program (also referred to as the FEG program) is an opportunity for first-year Beloit College students who received the Field Experience Grant opportunity as part of their admission package to connect their experiences and interests, test them out in new places, and build confidence in their ability to pursue their dreams at college and beyond. Funding of up to $2,000 will support a significant self-designed learning opportunity in the summer following each recipient's first year.
To learn more about what Field Experience Grant students think about their experience, listen to Field Experience podcasts.
Current Field Experience Grant Students
Congratulations to each of you on receiving grant awards for your proposed projects! What will your learning adventure be? Whatever it is, we’re here to help you take full advantage of this opportunity to jump-starting your Beloit College liberal arts experience. By the spring, we’re confident you’ll be prepared to design and take charge of your own summer learning experience.
We look forward to working with you to craft this opportunity and to start putting the liberal arts into practice.
Resources and Workshops
For International Students Receiving the FEG
Information session - December 3, 2017 @ 7pm at the Liberal Arts in Practice Center
Join Shannon Jolly from the Office of International Education to determine what types of projects are possible under your visa status.
For All Students Receiving the FEG
FEG Brainstorm Session - December 3, 2017 from 5pm-7pm at the Liberal Arts in Practice Center
Still not sure what you want to do for your FEG project? Need some help from the FEG student assistant? Stop in anytime from 5pm-7pm for hot chocolate, cookies, and FEG guidance.
For All Students Receiving the FEG
February 5, 2018 at 7pm in the LAPC
A workshop for all FEG students who are considering a project that involves interviewing, photographing, or filming, people. Professor Shannon Fie from the IRB review board will be on hand to help students determine if they will need IRB approval.
Need help writing your FEG proposal?
Come and see Jeffrey and Eddie.
Drop in hours: Mondays evenings from 5-7pm at the LAPC
Mondays 10-12, Wednesdays 9-11am, and Fridays 9am-11am by appointment.
Need a resume?
Come and see a Career Peer Advisor: https://lapc.youcanbook.me/
Please refer to the following documents, forms, and resources:
- Frequently Asked Questions- Additional information about the Field Experience Grant.
- International Travel Information - Additional information and requirements for students going abroad.
- Volunteering Abroad - Valuable information for those seeking to volunteer abroad.
- FEG proposal template - use this to help you write your proposal
- FEG budget template- complete with samples of shared and individual budgets
- Rubric for evaluating your FEG proposal - important to know as you begin researching and writing.
- Tax Statement
- Institutional Review Board(IRB) approval- IRB approval is needed if you plan on photographing, interviewing, or surveying people for your Field Experience. This is an approval process that is done separately from the Field Experience proposal. Follow the link for more information. It is important to talk to your coach about this process and to start early. Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (the first document in this list) for important information.
- Common Grant information- Important if you apply for additional funding. Scroll down to 'Common Grant Application Form.'
For any questions regarding the FEG, please contact: