First Year Exploratory Program
The mission of the First Year Exploratory Program is to support first year students' academic and social integration into Beloit College. This program seeks to enable each student to proactively develop and implement an individual plan of academic success.
The main goal of this program is to help students obtain placement in a summer learning opportunity such as an internship, or an independent project.
To be eligible for this program you must be a full time student at Beloit and have met one of the following criteria:
a)first generation student OR (b)has demonstrated a need/low income as established by the U.S. Department of Education OR (c)an underrepresented minority. You must also possess at least a 2.75 GPA and be interested in attending graduate school. (Please note: After application is submitted our office will request your first semester transcript.)
Individuals interested in studying STEM fields and males who also meet the above eligibility requirements are strongly encouraged to apply.
2017-2018 First Year Exploratory Program - Application due on December 1, 2017 by 5pm
Refer your questions to Cristina Parente at email@example.com
First Year Exploratory Program Scholars engage in the following activities:
- Take a 0.25 credit course: "Developing an Academic Trajectory."
- Develop a blog article
- Attend monthly workshops.
- Attend weekly advising sessions with faculty to develop academic and career interests.
- Complete an application for a summer job, internship, or research opportunity.
- Learn about and apply for additional funding to support their summer experience.
- Prepare for McNair, Graduate Scholars Exploratory Fellows(GSEF)Mellon, or other OADI programs.
Read former program students' reflections about what it means for to be first-generation, low-income, and/or underrepresented students in higher education at the Academic Hustle: The Blog.
Check out the Office of Academic Diversity and Inclusiveness (OADI) to learn about other programs.