Applying for a Venture Grant
Students in their sophomore year who have completed all three Initiatives advising workshops are eligible to apply for Venture Grants.
The Venture Grant program enables sophomore students:
- to apply the skills and knowledge gained through their first two years of college in contexts beyond the traditional classroom;
- to acquire new skills or perspectives that further enhance their intellectual and personal development; and
- through the application process and post-project reflective report, to articulate for themselves and others the value and direction of their educational trajectory.
- The strength and feasibility of the proposed project
- Connection between the proposed project and the student’s prior and projected educational experiences and other activities
- The strength of the student’s academic record, as reflected in the student’s transcript and recommendation
- Consistency of the project with the aims of the Venture Grant program
Applicants should work with a suitable faculty or staff member to develop a strong project proposal, and should request that person complete an electronic reference form. The link to the form is provided in the application.
Funding can support:
- domestic or international travel (see exceptions below)
- research expenses
- room and board for the period of the project activity
- attendance at conferences or other events
- enrollment in short courses
Funding cannot support:
- faculty-led projects either related or unrelated to courses
- transportation to and from an international applicant’s host country (transportation within that country may be supported, however)
- transportation connected to a study abroad semester or year
- travel to an area for which the U.S. State Department has issued a travel warning
- proposals that entail significant and foreseeable personal risk
- equipment that can be borrowed or rented from the college
- the purchase of personal items
All applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the Monday following spring break (March 14) to email@example.com.
Up to $2000. Grant amounts are disbursed in two installments: ¾ of the award before the start of activity, and ¼ of the award upon receipt of a project report following the completion of the activity.
Awards will be announced approximately two weeks after the application deadline.
Project reports and dissemination
Venture Grant recipients are required to report on their projects by means of a final report, which must be submitted within 1 month of the end of project activities. Recipients are also asked to disseminate the project results through a public presentation, exhibit, website, or other means during the semester following the project activity.
Click here for complete instructions and access to the common grant application form for all Beloit College summer grants.