Director of Financial Aid
Reporting to the Vice President for Enrollment Management, the Director of Financial Aid leads a team charged with all aspects regarding the creation of new and continuing student financial aid packaging and notification; designing and conducting financial aid workshops (e.g., for prospective students/families), including sessions that help prospective families from diverse backgrounds understand how financing college education is possible; financial aid audit and regulatory compliance; net price calculator management and updating; student employment coordination; partnerships with other campus offices, such as the finance office and development and alumni relations; and using technological and analytical tools to perform financial aid activities efficiently and intelligently.
The director oversees a financial aid budget of more than $30 million and supervises a small team of professional staff members and student workers. The director is also a member of a “unit leads” team, which is comprised of the heads of other functional units in enrollment and the vice president for enrollment. The unit leads team helps provide strategic direction for the enrollment office as a whole, and facilitates collaboration across enrollment units and across campus offices.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead operational and strategic planning for the financial aid office.
- Ensure compliance, disbursement, funds management, and stewardship; track and report expenditures.
- Recommend the formulation and implementation of Beloit College financial aid policies. Assist in strategic planning efforts to improve net tuition revenue.
- Oversee staff development and training, including cross-training across the financial aid office. Model and promote high quality student service.
- Develop staff understanding of aid programs and related rules and regulations in the financial aid unit and enrollment office as a whole.
- Use PowerFAIDS to perform needs analysis, aid distribution, and reporting, and works with enterprise-wide software to assure database functions serve other departments. Work with staff to assure technology is supporting the financial aid process.
- Work with staff in accounting (especially the controller), residential life, and registrar to perform financial aid activities that involve other campus offices. Contribute to a cross-college environment that serves students efficiently and accurately.
- Work closely with director of institutional research, planning, and assessment and others as needed to comply with federal and other required reporting of financial aid distribution.
- Represent Beloit College’s interests by serving as the primary liaison with federal and state agencies concerning issues and proposals that impact financial aid programs or eligibility.
- Active participation in National and Regional Student Financial Aid Associations is a plus.
A bachelor’s degree and documented substantive progressive management experience in related student services areas, including financial aid administration and/or admissions at a four year college or university are required. In addition, the following will be expected of the director:
- Knowledge of principles, best practices, methodology, procedures, and latest trends for the provision of student financial aid;
- Expertise in federal, state, and other forms of audit and regulatory compliance;
- Demonstrated ability to formulate student service and business operation policies;
- Ability to develop and implement new business strategies and workflow procedures;
- Proficiency using federal online financial aid applications, such as the Common Origination and Disbursement (COD) and the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS);
- Experience with or proficiency in use of PowerFAIDS;
- Competency in preparing and reviewing an operational budget for the financial aid office;
- Ability to manage multiple and competing deadlines and work both independently and collaboratively;
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to foster a cooperative learning and working environment when interacting with diversely represented students, parents, staff and faculty;
- Ability to develop, and to contribute to, learning and work environments welcoming to people from a diverse variety of backgrounds and experiences; and
- Proficiency using software applications including Microsoft applications, databases, spreadsheets and word processing will be required.
Application and Nomination
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to, and will actively contribute to, our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Review of applications will begin August 23, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. To apply for this position please click on the Apply button, complete the brief application process, and upload your resume and position-specific cover letter. Nominations for this position may be emailed to Kendra E. Dane at email@example.com. Applicants needing reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process should contact Spelman Johnson at 413-529-2895.