Health Professions Advisory Committee
Advising for all students interested in and applying to medical-related graduate and professional programs.
There are multiple pathways towards a healthcare career. During your time at Beloit, you can engage in the liberal arts undergraduate experience (clubs! athletics!) while making meaningful connections with faculty, participating in research programs and internships, gaining global health perspective by studying abroad, and ultimately discovering a healthcare career that best suits you!
Our Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC, comprised of Beloit College professors) will help each student develop their own narrative of academic, emotional, work, personal, interpersonal, and professional skills development to successfully prepare for a career in healthcare.
Pre-health students at Beloit…
- often major in: biochemistry, health & society, biology, chemistry, Spanish, anthropology, psychology, as the degree-requirements for these majors often overlap with the prerequisite courses for professional healthcare programs; but you could major (and minor) in anything during your time at Beloit.
- often participate in our student-run Pre-health Professionals Club.
- connect with alumni, shadowing and internship opportunities, and other events through the Health and Healing Channel.
- engage in hands-on research projects with Beloit faculty through programs like McNair Scholars, Pakula Biomedical Research Scholars, or through undergraduate research programs at other institutions.
- have successfully continued on to… nursing MSN programs at Johns Hopkins, medical school at Medical College of Wisconsin, pharmacy school at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Physical Therapy programs at Carroll University and the University of Southern California, Infection Prevention and Epidemiology MS at the University of Providence, and many more!
The Health Professions Advising Committee plays three major roles on campus:
- We make sure that students know what classes they should be taking to prepare for admission to health profession training programs and how and when to prepare for admission exams.
- We evaluate students applying to medical training programs to provide a committee (or institutional) opinion of the applicant through the writing and submission of a committee letter to prospective training programs (this is important when you are applying in your 3rd or 4th years).
- We coordinate with local healthcare providers, alumni, and the Beloit pre-health student club to help students understand and obtain the non-classroom experiences expected of competitive applicants.
Alumni Interviews for Beloit College students. Stay tuned as we add more stories here!
Health Professions Advisory Committee News
Caring for Diverse Populations
Guadalupe Orbezo-Perez’20, a senior biochemistry and psychology double major, French minor, and Pakula Biomedical Scholar, aspires to be a clinical psychologist, adding “I am trilingual and we need clinicians who can care for diverse populations.”