Professional and Program Development Committee
Professional and Program Development Committee Mission
As an educational institution, Beloit College is strengthened by improving the knowledge and resources of its faculty. It is PPDC’s purpose to assist and promote faculty research and development by granting funds for travel and project costs.
2018-2019 Committee Members
- Ron Watson, Political Science and Health and Society (Chair)
- Rachel Bergstrom, Biology
- Natalie Gummer, Philosophy & Religious Studies
Base Annual Development Funding Guidelines
- Full-time tenured and full-time adjunct faculty members are entitled to a base annual amount (BAA) of $1,500 (July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019) to support travel and projects related to professional activities. All expenses are subject to the College's standard rules of reimbursement.
- Pre-tenure tenure-track faculty members are entitled to a BAA of $2,000, for the same purpose and subject to the same rules.
- Part-time faculty and staff with teaching responsibilities are entitled to a BAA in proportion to their teaching load, for the same purpose and subject to the same rules.
- Part-time faculty excludes sabbatical, phased retirement, or under course release for administrative duties.
- Faculty holding visiting or non-full-time adjunct appointments should refer to their appointment letter regarding their eligibility for professional development funds, which are provided and managed by the Provost's Office. Rather than applying to PPDC, faculty members wishing to access these professional development funds should submit a brief application and budget to Associate Dean Lisa Anderson-Levy.
Requesting Additional Funds
For all requests in excess of the BAA, applicants should use the online proposal form. Please answer all questions on the form. Your proposal will be automatically submitted (you should receive a confirmation email).
To request additional funds related to a professional or program development project, a description of the project goals and the anticipated outcome(s) must be included. Funds requested should align with these goals and outcomes. Applicants should be prepared to report on the outcomes of previous funding (including the BAA received that year and any other development funds available to the applicant). Faculty and staff leading institutional collaborations should first contact the appropriate College office(s) to invite participation in the project, and the level of financial commitment by the office(s) should be included in the PPDC proposal. Please note that each PPDC award is discrete; funds may not be transferred between awards.
Applicants can submit proposals for any amount, but the committee will endeavor to distribute funds equitably by observing a limit of $18,000 over any five fiscal years in the case of pre-tenure tenure-track faculty members and $12,000 over any five fiscal years in the case of all other applicants.
In allocating additional development funds, the committee will give preference to expenditures supporting the following activities, in order:
- publication or performance of original scholarly or creative work;
- research toward publication or performance of original scholarly or creative work (and/or the materials required for such research);
- presentation of one's research/professional work (as a paper, poster, exhibition, or performance). Individuals may be asked to provide documentation of their presentation (e.g., a copy of the event program or an abstract) to PPDC prior to being reimbursed;
- participation in a training or professional development workshop directly related to one’s research and/or teaching;
- significant involvement with and/or responsibility for the organization, planning and/or execution of a conference or workshop related to one’s professional work;
- required meetings for a society, consortium, or similar leadership team as part of a professional event (i.e. as an elected or appointed executive committee member, or a member of the programming committee).
When to Submit
Please submit your requests as soon as you know that you will have need of funds beyond your BAA to attend an event or complete a project. Doing so greatly helps PPDC plan and track spending, and gives you the greatest chance to receive funds.
PPDC does not fund retroactively. All requests for funding must be submitted before the event or start of a project segment.
Proposals are reviewed six times during the year, on July 1, September 15, November 1, February 1, April 1, and May 1. May 1 is the last date to request funds for events or projects occurring prior to June 30.
- All requests for reimbursement must adhere to the Travel and Expense Reimbursement Guidelines.
- Please submit all receipts and a complete expense report (when applicable) to Sheila Gustafson.
- Receipts must be submitted within 10 days of completion of travel or project, or else within ten days of notification of your PPDC award, whichever is later. If you cannot meet this deadline, you must notify Sheila Gustafson and a member of PPDC. Failure to adhere to this policy may result in a reallocation of your approved funds to a colleague.
- Tangible items such as books, films, or other equipment ordinarily become the property of the College, not the individual.
- ISR must be consulted on the purchase of any technological support (software, equipment, server space, etc.)
- In lieu of accommodation expenses, PPDC will refund up to $75 for a “host gift.” You must indicate in your budget that you will be using funds for a host gift. A qualified host gift might be a meal for your friends/family, a trip to the movies/theatre, or an object purchased *while on your business travel*. As with all reimbursements, you will need an itemized receipt to receive reimbursement.
- PPDC encourages you to spend as if the monies you are allocated are your own:
- Please consider less expensive lodging options, when available.
- Whenever possible, plan travel well in advance in order to take advantage of the best airfare and lodging rates.
- Use public transportation, shuttles, buses and/or other ride share opportunities when possible.
- Seek external funding when possible.