Holiday Giving Tips
We know you’re busy—here are a few quick tips that may be helpful as you finalize your plans for year-end giving and meeting important tax deadlines.
Holiday Hours of Operation
December 15-19: Normal operation (8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
December 22 and 23: Normal operation (8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
December 24 and 25: Beloit College and the Development Office will be closed. Giving online using Beloit College’s secure site is a convenient option to make your year-end gift using a VISA, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express debit/credit card.
December 26: The college will be closed, but the Development Office will be open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. If you would like to make a gift of stock or discuss your year-end gift to Beloit College, please contact us at 1-800-331-4943 and our holiday staff will be happy to assist you.
December 29-31: The college will be closed, but the Development Office will be open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Our holiday staff will be happy to assist you.
January 1: Beloit College and the Development Office will be closed.
January 2: The college will be closed, but the Development Office will be open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Our holiday staff will be happy to assist you.
Helpful year-end giving tips
Remember, only gifts made by December 31 can help reduce the amount of taxes you owe in April so you’ll need to move swiftly! Please keep the following in mind and consult your tax advisor for specific details.
Deadline to Receive 2014 Tax Credit
- Gifts made by check must be postmarked no later than December 31, 2014.
- Credit card gifts can be made online on or before 11:59 p.m. (EST) on December 31, 2014. We accept VISA, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express debit/credit cards.
Year-end giving opportunities:
- As the stock market continues to enjoy a period of healthy growth, a gift of appreciated stock is always a tax-wise decision.
- Many companies are paying out larger than normal dividends; if you are on the receiving end, ease your tax burden by making a charitable gift.
- If you have a donor advised fund, recommend that Beloit receive your distribution.
- If you are considering a gift via mutual fund, do send that information in by December 15 to account for processing time.
- If you have been watching Congressional action on H.R. 5771, the Tax Increase Protection Act of 2014, you are likely aware that the President signed the bill December 19, 2014. Included in this legislation is a retroactive extension of the IRA charitable rollover provision. However, the extension is only for 2014 and applies to gifts completed by December 31, 2014. Time is of the essence in taking advantage of this tax-saving provision. Learn how.
The date you deliver or mail your donation is generally recognized as the gift date for tax purposes. Please note the date on the actual check or money order is not recognized by the IRS as proof of your intent to give on a particular date. Gifts by check or money order may be mailed to:
Development & Alumni Relations
700 College Street
Beloit, WI 53511
Note: Gifts can also be hand-delivered to Beloit College December 26, 29, 30, and 31 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Please deliver them to the friendly folks at the Alumni House, located at 613 College Street (the little white house across from the Logan Museum).
The date your account is debited is considered the date of the donation. In order to receive a 2014 charitable income tax deduction, credit card gifts must be processed against your account in 2014. You can make a gift online using your VISA, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express debit/credit card.
Gifts of Stock:
If you would like to make a gift of stock or discuss your year-end gift to Beloit College, please contact the Development & Alumni Relations Office at 1-800-331-4943 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your generous support of Beloit College—it’s worth repeating, you make Beloit possible. The experiences, the friendships, the ah-ha moments, the campus—it is all thanks to your steadfast belief that Beloit is worthy of your support. That same message rings true for the Beloiters before you that paved the way, and the Beloiters to come that will follow in your remarkable footsteps.
Have a wonderful holiday season! We hope to see you on campus in 2015!