The Beloit College Field Experience Grant Program
What is the Field Experience Grant Program?
In the spirit of the Beloit Plan, the Field Experience Grant program is available to first year Beloit College students who received the Grant opportunity as part of their admission package. This program provides students with funding to plan and launch their own independent or collaborative project. Each grantee is asked to use the program to enrich and test, stretch and sculpt their academic interests, capabilities and confidence.
What is the goal of the Field Experience Grant?
The Field Experience Grant (commonly called the FEG Program) helps first year students immerse themselves in the liberal arts by providing them with an opportunity to receive up to $2,000 to fund a project during the summer following their second semester. This is an opportunity to practice making and implementing a plan, challenging students and helping to prepare them for even bigger, better, and more competitive opportunities in the future.
What have students done for their field experience?
Just a sample:
- Attended a JAVA proficiency boot camp in Sacramento, CA in order to gain necessary experience for a future application to a Computer Science internship.
- Secured a Public Relations Internship with a local sports team, using the funding to pay for rent, food, and public transportation.
- Designed and recruited fellow students to assist with a project, informed by relevant chemistry research, to study the effects of ore mining in water supplies in the Superior National Forest and Boundary Waters Canoe Area.
- Shadowed and interviewed sports agents and professionals while evaluating and planning for a career in sports management.
- Volunteered with the World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms in Scotland with the purpose of researching the brewing, dairy, and farming industries.
Whatever the adventure, the Liberal Arts in Practice Center helps our students take full advantage of opportunities to jump start their Beloit College liberal arts experience.
A gift to the Beloiter Fund—Liberal Arts in Practice helps students have future-defining experiences at the college, in the community, and around the world.