Skip Navigation

Student Employee Policies

Authorization To Work On Campus - To be authorized (allowed) to work on campus, a student employee must:

  • Have a work opportunity allotment as part of his/her financial aid package.
  • Have submitted a signed copy of the Student Employment Authorization and Contract to the Financial Aid Office prior to the first day of employment.
  • Have submitted an I-9 Employment Eligibility Form to the office of Human Resources demonstrating that s/he is eligible for employment. This must be on file in the office of Human Resources prior to the first day of employment. Students who submitted I-9 Forms during a previous academic year do not need to submit another form
  • Have submitted a W-4 Withholding Form to the Human Resources Office prior to the first day of employment.
  • Students who are under 18 years old must obtain a work permit from the State of Wisconsin. If a student does not have a work permit, the Human Resources Office will issue one. The Human Resources Office must have a copy of the work permit on file before a students begins campus employment. The Human Resources Office will also need a copy of the student's birth certificate as well as written permission from the parent(s) allowing the student to work on campus.

Finding Employment

  • First-Year Students: Students whose financial aid packages include either work study or campus employment are given priority for job consideration.  If your financial aid award includes work study or campus employment, you will have the first three weeks of class to secure a position on campus; during this time, campus supervisors will only be permitted to hire students who have work as part of their aid. Available positions will be posted online during the summer. Most positions pay Wisconsin minimum wage ($7.25/hour). More varied opportunities may exist for you after your first year.
  • It's your responsibility to seek and secure work on campus. Food service (Bon Appetit) hires a significant number of students and has the most (and most flexible) hours. The student employment website is the primary source of position listings, though we encourage you to network with departments as soon as you arrive (or even prior to arrival).
  • Be prepared to provide employers with proposed class schedules.
  • If you have not been offered work study or campus employment as part of financial aid but want to work on campus, you may apply for positions starting September 15.
  • Any first-year student who does not secure employment at this interview is to report back to the Financial Aid Office immediately. We will continue to assist the student in locating campus employment if the student has advised the Financial Aid Office that they were unable to secure employment at their initial interview and that they still wish a placement.
  • Continuing and Transfer Students: All students are encouraged to check the employment opportunities online.
  • Students who are applying for a previous position must also undergo the interviewing process. Students should bring their proposed class schedule to the interview. Continuing students must also ensure that they have an I-9 and W-4 Form on file in the office of Human Resources.

Other Employment Opportunities

  • If an on-campus job is not available, or if a student wants employment above and beyond his/her work allotment, s/he should check the off-campus employment section of the Employment Opportunities bulletin board located in the Financial Aid Office. Grocery stores, pizza places, and private individuals often employ Beloit students, and other local businesses periodically have openings as well.

Limits On How Much A Student Can Earn

  • As a participants in the college work-study program, students may only earn up to the amount they were awarded in their financial aid package. Students who would like to earn more, or would prefer to work less, should notify the Financial Aid Office to see if an adjustment can be made. Students who over-earn their work allotments may jeopardize their other forms of financial assistance.

Falling Short Of The Work Allotment

  • Sometimes students are unable to earn their entire work allotments due to scheduling conflicts, inability to find work, heavy course loads, delay in starting work, etc. If a student encounters this problem and anticipates that financial difficulties will result, s/he should consult with the Financial Aid Office to see if an aid revision is possible. In some cases, the Financial Aid Officer may be able to replace the work allotment with a loan.

Payment Procedures - To ensure a timely paycheck each month, a student employees must:

  • Make sure that all authorization documents (see above) are on file in the appropriate offices.
  • Properly complete a Time Sheet and give it to their supervisor on the first of the month.
  • Show their supervisor their Student Employment Verification Card on the first day of work, if they are new students