Skip Navigation

EDYS Portfolio

Initial Educator Portfolio

Why do I need a portfolio for licensure?
Your portfolio is the means by which you will be eligible to be licensed to teach in Wisconsin public schools. Therefore, the only way to receive a license is for you to document that you have successfully met all of the requirements related to the ten Teacher Standards.   Fortunately, you are not expected to complete your portfolio by yourself; rather, the faculty members in the EDYS department will provide you with many opportunities in your classes and field experiences to help you.   However, it is your responsibility to keep track of your documents, so that all of the materials are completed when you have finished your EDYS major and have passed the department requirements for licensure.    (See EDYS Handbook for more detailed information)

The framework in the portfolio checklist form explains the kinds of information and documentation gathered about student learning and achievements that we use to assess student knowledge, skills and dispositions at each phase of a student’s progress through our program and curricula. Upon declaration of a major this form becomes part of a student’s advising folder and is updated regularly. The “artifacts” indicated in the left column of the form, along with reflections on the relationship between the artifacts and the department’s learning goals are stored electronically. The right column represents the documented history of a students progress through the program, including artifacts such as transcripts, scores from the required PRAXIS I and II examinations, supervisor observations of fieldwork, etc.

An assessment portfolio is a place to:

• keep a record, and show yourself and your teachers what you have learned over the course of your studies at Beloit.

•reflect on your understanding and knowledge of teaching, and ask questions about teaching and yourself as a teacher.

•demonstrate that you have achieved the program's learning goals and you are ready to become a teacher.

•prepare yourself to enter the teaching profession, and all that entails.

The learning goals of the Department of Education and Youth Studies at Beloit follow the Wisconsin Teaching Standards, which are the foundation for evaluation of teaching at every level of professional development in the State. They are very similar to national and other state teaching standards, and will give graduates a good foundation for understanding professional expectations.

For each of the Department learning goals -- which are aligned with both WI and INTASC teaching standards -- students are required to provide at least one artifact (with a contextualized explanation) for each learning goal for the last two phases of our programs: Learning to Teach (200-level "methods" courses), and at least one artifact from Student Teaching (302, 304, and 310). Your reflections should demonstrate your understanding of the standard and explain the relationship between your artifact and the teaching standard in question.

You are welcome to include more than the required 2 number of artifacts for each standard. You are also welcome to use the same artifact for more than two different standards, as long as your reflection bears on the particular standard. Your portfolio must be submitted for evaluation prior to student teaching, and then again prior to licensure. You may submit your portfolio for review at any time to your advisor. The portfolio is assessed before official acceptance into student teaching (includes methods level artifacts) and again at the completion of student teaching; generally at the end of April and end of December.

When I’m done with the program and have graduated, what then?
If you have successfully completed all the requirements for licensure and want to apply for an initial educator’s license, check online for the license application forms for the state in which you will be teaching. The form for Wisconsin (PI-1602-IS) can only be downloaded from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction’s website at (the department secretary does not have them).  Complete the license application form and forward to the Education and Youth Studies department secretary, Morse & Ingersoll 224.  The form will be signed by the department chair and sent to the DPI.

Where can I find out about teaching jobs?
The Liberal Arts in Practice Center will work with you in exploring, assessing and securing career-related opportunities. Staff and resources support student and alumni efforts to understand a values-interest-skills paradigm, which should be viewed as complementary to a liberal arts education. The Liberal Arts in Practice Center provides a combination of counseling, education, and direct service.

The department maintains a small listing of job announcements (on our bulletin board in MI) sent to us from local districts, which we forward to the Liberal Arts in Practice Center. Their staff welcomes the opportunity to help you in your job search. Stop in and see them! They are located on the corner of College and Emerson Streets and are open M-F from 8:00 AM – 4:30. Set up a time to meet with one of their counselors by calling 363-2673.

Any last words of advice?
Yes, we are pleased that you have read this far and hope that you are not discouraged by all of the requirements that have been explained in the previous sections. The EDYS department depends on students like you to share your enthusiasm and learning with public school pupils, teachers, and staff. We are eager to support you in your mission to bring quality liberal arts perspectives into the classroom and we will do everything we can to make your teaching experience worthwhile.    Give us a chance to help you progress through the Initial Educator License, by keeping us up-to-date about your career plans. Remember to seek advice!    Meeting your dreams and expectations is what we can do together.