The choice whether or not to self-identify as a student with a disability and/or use accommodations are personal decisions. It is the responsibility of the student to take the initiative to engage with this Office and then remain actively involved if the student needs accommodations. To decide whether or not to use accommodations, students are encouraged to contact the Director to discuss how their disability impacts them and how equal access can then be provided. The decision whether or not to use accommodations remains with the student.
Students seeking accommodations should be aware that it is their responsibility to:
- Talk or email with the Director as soon as you know you will be attending the College or, if you are a current student, immediately after it has been determined that you have a disability or need accommodations.
- Provide third party documentation as requested.
- For housing accommodations, discuss needs with the Director of this office well in advance of the deadlines of the residence life office. If needs are presented after the deadlines, every reasonable effort will be made to provide the warranted accommodations but limited advance notice may compromise the outcome.
- Set up and attend a meeting with the Director to discuss accommodations, policies and procedures as well as the philosophy of the Office and College.
- Give adequate advance notice. Certain accommodations take time to arrange (e.g. texts in an audio format).
- Obtain and deliver Accommodation Verification Letters to faculty at the beginning of each semester or as soon as possible after the letters are acquired.
- Discuss the Accommodation Verification Letter, in person, with each faculty member as soon as possible at the beginning of each semester or as soon as the letters are acquired.
- Confirm the adequacy of accommodations as soon as possible and, after discussing with the appropriate faculty member, notify the Director when satisfactory conditions are not present.
- Obtain syllabi, course materials, or other information when requested by the Office staff to facilitate accommodations.
- Adhere to deadlines established by College offices and faculty members.
- Disability Policy - Student Section
- Obtaining Accommodations
- Documentation Guidelines
- Student's Responsibilities
- Faculty Responsibilities
- Learning Enrichment and Disabilities Services Responsibilities
- Housing & Food Service Accommodations
- Accommodation Possibilities
- Grievance Procedure
- Service Animals - Students
- Personal Care Attendants
- Emotional Support Animal Policy
- Printing Access
- Leniency with Deadlines
- Leniency with Attendance