Off Campus Opportunities
[Group of 30 Beloit dancers who traveled to ACDFA in 2003.]Every year Beloit dance students and faculty travel to the American College Dance Festival Association's regional conference. Past conferences have been in various cities in Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa. At the conference students and faculty attend classes for 4 days and perform in adjudicated concerts as well as informal performances. Two of the dances from Chelonia, Beloit's annual dance concert—one faculty/guest work and one student work—are chosen to be presented at the American College Dance Festival Association (ACDFA) regional festivals each spring. Since 2001, Beloit's pieces have been regularly selected for the prestigious gala concerts at ACDFA. More information...
Some other recent off campus performances:
- May 2016 - Two alumni, Claire Alrich'13 and Sarah Ellen Miller'15 along with two students, Laura Logan'15 and Charlotte Vail'18 performed Dance Professor Gina T'ai's choreographic work Faux Fur in Virginia at the Richmond Dance Festival.
- October/November 2015 - Beloit alumna, Sarah Ellen Miller'15 and Beloit Ballet Professor, Sarah Wolf performed Physical Manifestations of Assent, the choreographic work of Dance Professor and TDMS Department Chair, Chris Johnson at the inaugural Women in Dance Leadership Conference in Baton Rouge, LA. Highlights can be seen here.
- September 2014 – Beloit College dance students performed Chris Johnson’s choreographic work, "Physical Manifestation of Assent" in the Harvest Chicago Contemporary Dance Festival www.hccdf.com.
- July 2014 - Two Beloit dancers, Sarah Ellen Miller’15 and Santiago Quintana’15 along with Professor of Dance Chris Johnson traveled to France and Belgium to give presentations, perform, take workshop classes, see performances and collaborate with international dance companies. More info
- July 2013 - Eight Beloit dancers (Claire Alrich’13, Nora Anderson’13, Alissa Chen’14, Sarah Miller’15, Matthew Alan Porter’12, Amelia Tarpey’14, Lily Watkins’12, and Marilu Wiesner’14) and Professor of Dance, Chris Johnson traveled to Prague, Cz in July 2013 to participate in the week-long New Prague Dance Festival competition. The international festival was attended by dancers from all over the world including South Africa, Great Britain, Belgium, Brazil, India, Taiwan, and others from the USA, just to name a few. More info
- October 2010 – Eleven Beloit College dance students and alumni performed Chris Johnson’s choreographic work, "Resistance, Resilience" in the Harvest Chicago Contemporary Dance Festival www.hccdf.com. The piece was inspired by environmental issues and was a collaboration with video sculpture artist Joan Truckenbrod, internationally recognized artist and professor at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago in the Art and Technology Department www.joantruckenbrod.com. Notably, we were invited to return and perform in the HCCDF festival again in September 2011.
- July 2008 – Beloit dance students, alumni and faculty presented two evenings of works at the Ruth Page Center for the Arts in Chicago IL. Both nights we had full houses and this offered a fantastic networking opportunity for our students and Chicagoland alumni.
- September 2007 – Ten Beloit College dance students performed in Chris Johnson's new choreographic interpretation of the/ Rite of Spring./ The performance was held on September 29 and 30, 2007 at the Janesville Performing Arts Center in Janesville, WI in collaboration with the Beloit Janesville Symphony under the direction of Maestro Robert Tomaro playing Igor Stravinsky's challenging score. The/ Rite of Spring/ was originally choreographed by Vaslav Nijinsky in 1913 and was performed in Paris. The raucous music and primitive dancing was unlike anything audiences in Paris had heard before, creating uproars and riots in the theatres. Today, the ballet and the score of the/ Rite of Spring/ remains a strong figure in the turning points of Western art and music.
- May 2004 – Beloit dancers traveled to Moscow, Ru to participate in the Seventh International Competition: Festival of Choreographic Collectives "Unity of Russia" and won the Laureate and Grand Prix. More info
- May 2002 – In the first invitation of its kind to be extended to a college dance troupe, the Chelonia troupe performed Wreath of Memories, a work about children living in a Nazi ghetto, at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum's Meyerhoff Theatre in Washington, D.C. More info
- March 2001 – Beloit dancers performed at Northern Illinois University to the live music of the Concert Choir in their Memorium Concert for Jester Hairston.
Students often do internships during the summer in a variety of locations such as New York City, Bates Dance Festival, and American Dance Festival. Click here to see video of a student talking about her internship in the costume shop at ADF.
Off Campus Training
Beloit dance students often pursue dance training off campus. Each spring a group of Beloit dancers attends the American College Dance Festival to take classes and be adjudicated by dance professionals. Many Beloit dancers go to summer programs such as the American Dance Festival in Durham, NC , or do summer study in New York. Some of our dancers have earned scholarships for summer study and prestigious internships at these programs. Past and present dance students are actively involved in regional dance companies.