Darrah Chavey's Home Page
|Professor of Mathematics & Computer Science|
|Beloit College; 700 College St.; Beloit, Wisconsin|
|Ph.D., Mathematics, 1984, University of Wisconsin, Madison|
|M.S., Computer Science, 1987, University of Wisconsin, Madison|
For the abstract, a link to the full paper, and citations referencing the paper, click the title.
- Tchuka Ruma Solitaire, with P. Campbell, UMAP Journal, 16(4), (1995), pp. 343-365.
- Ethnomathematics, with A. Shell-Gellasch, R. Chavey, and M. Ascher, MAA Focus 28(6), Aug. 2008, poster insert.
- Mathematical Experiments with African Sona Designs, Bridges Banff: Proceedings of the 12th Annual Bridges Conference, 2009.
- Constructing Symmetric Chokwe Sand Drawings, Symmetry: Culture and Science, 21(3), pp. 191-206, Feb. 2010.
- Strip Symmetry Groups of African Sona Designs, Bridges: Pécs, July, 2010, pp. 111-118.
- Symmetry Orbits: When Artists and Mathematicians Disagree, Bridges: Coimbra, July, 2011, pp. 337-344.
- Central Africa and East Africa, articles in “Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Society”, ed. Sarah J. Greenwald & Jill E. Thomley, Nov. 2011, pp. 13-17.
- Depression Glass and Nested Symmetry Groups, Bridges: Towson, July, 2012.
- Periodic Tilings and Tilings by Regular Polygons, Ph.D. Thesis, UW-Madison, 1984.
- Periodic Tilings and Tilings by Regular Polygons I: Bounds on the Number of Orbits of Vertices, Edges, and Tiles, Mitteilungen aus dem Mathem. Seminar Giessen, 164(2), 1984, pp. 37-50.
- Tilings by Regular Polygons II: A Catalog of Tilings, Computers & Mathematics with Applications, 17, (1989), pp. 147-165.
- Tilings by Regular Polygons III: Dodecagon-Dense Tilings. To appear in "Symmetry: Culture and Science".
- Drawing Pictures with One Line: Exploring Graph Theory, 1992. Monograph in the HistoMap (High School Mathematics and Its Applications) series.
- The Politics of Course Time Slots, with P. Campbell and P. Straffin, UMAP Journal, 15(2), (1994), pp. 123-136.
- How to call a crank a crank (and win if you get sued), with P. Campbell, Underwood Dudley, and Philip D. Strafﬁn. The UMAP Journal of Undergraduate Mathematics and Its Applications 29 (1) (2008) 59–74.
- A Structured Lab Component for the Introductory Programming Course, SIGCSE Bulletin, 23(1), (1991), pp. 287-295.
- A Multi-purpose Computer Lab for a Small College, 1995. Proceedings of the User Services Conference, 1995, 23, pp. 67-72.
- Songs and the Analysis of Algorithms, SIGCSE Bulletin, 27(1), (1996), pp. 4-8. Presented at the ACM-SIGCSE Conference, March 1996.
- Double Sorting: Testing Their Sorting Skills, SIGCSE ’10: Proceedings of the 41st ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, March 2010, pp. 381-384.
- Evangeline Walton: Interpreter of Myths, Aurora 9(1), (1984), pp. 33-35.