Student Symposium is taking place TODAY, April 17. Click here for details, schedule.
Off-Campus Science Facilities
Chamberlin Springs—50 acres of oak and hickory woodland northwest of campus, used by students and faculty as an outdoor laboratory for studies in geology and biology, for recreation, and occasionally for art projects. It is named for the Chamberlin family, whose son, Thomas C. Chamberlin (class of 1866) was a world-renowned geologist. The donor was his son, Rollin S. Chamberlin.
Newark Road Prairie—32.5 acres of virgin prairie northwest of campus; serves as an outdoor classroom and research site. The acreage varies from wet to wet-mesic and harbors more than 300 species of flowering plants and a good selection of small mammals of southern Wisconsin.
Smith Limnology Laboratory—1.5 miles north of campus on the Rock River; used for boat storage and aquatic studies and named for longtime Professor of Chemistry E.G. Smith and Gilbert Smith, class of 1907. (This is not the same as the boathouse.)