The Summer Languages Program
Languages We Offer
At the successful conclusion of each 7 week summer language program, students will have completed the equivalent of one year of college-level language study and are prepared to enter the next year of study at most colleges and universities.
Students successfully completing the first 3.5 week session will earn the equivalent of the first semester of language study for that particular level. Students successfully completing the second 3.5 week session will earn the equivalent of the second semester of language study for that particular level.The second session does not duplicate material covered in the first session.
Students who complete either the 3.5 or 7 week sessions successfully will receive Beloit College credit.
Why Center for Language Studies?
If you are serious about learning a language, consider one of the nation's finest summer intensive language programs - the Center for Language Studies at Beloit College.
Our program aims to expand your understanding of a fascinating world culture as you move toward mastering the language it envelops: language and culture go hand in hand. Success in the program better positions you to assume confident, active citizenship in a thoroughly interdependent world. It prepares you to engage a part of that world on its own terms, in its own language, through its own cultural sensitivities.
Your study of language and culture at Beloit is carried out in partnership with devoted, excellent teachers. It takes place in a glorious Wisconsin summer, on a beautiful campus, among people who have come together because they love to learn and teach. Our program's distinctive features include:
- Flexibility of 7 week or 3.5 week sessions
- 22 hours of classroom instruction per week, plus evening tutorials
- Twelve semester hours of academic credit for the seven week course in any of the three government-designated, critical-need languages.
- Small classes with a maximum of twelve students (average class size in 2014 was 8).
- Superb language teachers
- A seamless environment of teacher-student interaction in the language, inside and outside the classroom
- Language conversation tables at lunch and dinner
- Comfortable housing with others studying the same language
- A friendly, inviting setting conducive to concentrated study
- A rare opportunity to focus on one thing: the study of language
Who Can Attend?
Our programs are open to:
- domestic and international undergraduate, graduate, and professional students
- advanced high school students
- 17 minimum age limit with exceptions made for 16 year old students on a case by case basis by the Office of Summer Programs
- business persons
- adults interested in language study for academic purposes, career and personal enrichment.
The Center for Language Studies is ideal for people preparing to work or study abroad.
Ideal for Teachers
CLS takes place each summer from mid-June through early August. This is an excellent opportunity for educators from K-12 and beyond to earn professional development hours. Even if you can only join us for the first 3.5 week session, by the time you leave, you will have completed nearly 100 hours of classroom work in addition to 50+ hours of outside the class work, which goes a long way towards fulfilling professional development requirements!
While CLS is a residential program, we understand that some individuals cannot put their entire life on hold for 3.5 or 7 weeks. We welcome commuters to the program and are happy to work with your schedule to ensure your success in our program. Please contact our staff if you have specific questions about commuting to our campus.