Turtle Creek Bookstore
Turtle Creek Bookstore is the Beloit College Bookstore. A Barnes & Noble bookseller serving the college, city of Beloit and the greater stateline region, the store offers Beloit College apparel and gifts, textbooks and textbook rental programs (for Beloit College students), as well as a wide selection of popular books, magazines, and other Barnes & Noble items (including the Nook e-reader). The bookstore is located in downtown Beloit (444 East Grand Avenue) and is a short walk from campus.
The Beloit College campus features 20 conical, linear, and animal effigy mounds built between about AD 400 and 1200. One, in the form of a turtle, has inspired the symbol (and unofficial mascot) of the College. Similar mounds are found throughout southern Wisconsin and adjacent portions of surrounding states. They were built by Native Americans identified by archaeologists as Late Woodland people. These people may include ancestors of the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) people and other tribes.
Beloit College boasts a diverse array of collections available for hands-on practice.
Sanger Science Center Collections
In 1848 the natural history collections were born when Rev. Stephen Peet, one of the founders of Beloit College, donated minerals that formed the nucleus of the College’s Cabinet Collection. The Cabinet Collection grew to include taxidermied bird specimens, a herbarium, and geological and paleontological specimens. Most of the bird mounts were safely disposed due to arsenic, which was historically used in taxidermy preparation, but the remainder of the natural history collections are stored in the Sanger Science Center.
Logan Museum of Anthropology
In 1891 Frank Logan purchased the Horatio Nelson Rust Collection and commissioned Rust to exhibit the collection and purchase additional items at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893. Logan became a Trustee of Beloit College in 1893 and the Rust Collection was subsequently donated and the Logan Museum of Anthropology founded. Today, the Logan Museum houses a world-renowned collection of over 350,000 archaeological and ethnographic objects from more than 125 countries and 600 cultural groups.
Notable ethnographic collections include Native North and South American, Asian, Pacific, and African material. Particular strengths in archaeology include European Paleolithic, North African, Wisconsin, Great Plains, Southwestern U.S., Mesoamerican, and Peruvian material. Collections derive from Beloit College anthropology field schools as well as gifts from notable researchers, collectors, and alumni.
Wright Museum of Art
In 1892, Helen Brace Emerson donated her personal collection of art to Beloit College and created its first program in art appreciation. She was also instrumental in bringing to Beloit a collection of plaster casts of ancient Greek sculpture that had been exhibited at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893. These were presented to the College in 1894, and strengthened an art program built on tangible works for study and appreciation. In 1930, the college partnered with the city of Beloit to fund the construction of the Wright Museum of Art.
Today, the Wright Museum houses approximately 6,000 objects, mostly European and American prints and paintings, College portraits, 19th century historic architecture photos, Soviet political propaganda posters, and Asian decorative arts, icons, and woodblock prints.
Over 730 Wright Museum objects are accessible online via the Beloit College Digital Collections.
Note: the Wright Museum of Art Collections are only available online to users who are located on campus.
Neese Theater Historic Costume Collection
The Neese Theater Historic Costume Collection contains about 400 clothing items donated over the years by alumni. Mostly women's garments, the collection includes items from the late 1840s through the 1950s. The collection represents a significant historic resource for the study of costume history and design.
Morse Library and College Archive
Center instructors and participants have full access to the library and archive while on campus, however, resources may not be checked out from the library. Computers located on the main floor near the Library entrance marked Guest Access are accessible to instructors and participants during library hours.
The Library is available during the following hours from June 16 to August 3:
- Monday-Thursday 8:30am-10:00pm
- Friday 8:30am-5:00pm
- Saturday Closed
- Sunday 1:00pm-10:00pm
An overview of library and archive resources available for instruction, spaces accessible for teaching, and staff contact information is available below. If you are interested in using one of the spaces for teaching or wish to schedule a visit to the archive collections, please contact us and we will arrange it.
Preservation Supplies and Equipment
The Logan Museum of Anthropology and the Wright Museum of Art serve as teaching museums and as a result make use of a wide array of archival supplies, tools, and equipment. You can download detailed lists of what is on-hand at both museums below.
Beloit Historical Society
Beloit is also home to the Beloit Historical Society (BHS), which is located less than two miles from campus. The BHS was founded in 1910 and is the oldest historical society in Rock County, Wisconsin. The BHS manages two sites—The Lincoln Center and the Hanchett-Bartlett Homestead, a circa 1857 Victorian farmstead. In 1990, BHS moved into the recently renovated Lincoln Center, formerly Lincoln Junior High School (1921-1985). The Lincoln Center is currently the administrative center of the society and houses collections, exhibition and public event spaces, the Luebke Family Library, and the Elliott-Perring Sports Hall of Fame. Behind-the-scenes access to BHS collections can be arranged for hands-on practice and teaching. Please contact Nicolette Meister for more information.
Museums and historic sites within 30 minutes of Beloit: