Remember that cold and flu season is here. Beloit College is seeing the usual stuff, but other, more challenging illnesses that show up on larger campuses do occasionally occur here too. The Health and Wellness Center closely monitors illness trends at Wisconsin schools and is in contact with University Wisconsin-Madison student health staff to stay up to date on information that could impact the health and wellbeing of our Beloit College community.
- Wash your hands frequently, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, sneezing, being with ill people and before you eat
- Avoid sharing objects (toothbrushes, glasses, lip balm, etc.)
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth and eyes
- Get enough sleep and avoid getting "run down"
- Reduce stress by walking, listening to music, hanging out with friends
- Use tissues for coughs and sneezes and dispose of them immediately
- Eat right (fruits and vegetables!!), get regular exercise, drink lots of water
What we’re seeing at Beloit:
- Rest, stay home
- Push Fluids- water, broth, Jello, popsicles, applesauce
- Wash your hands
- Stay away from other individuals to avoid spreading virus
- Ibuprofen/Tylenol - prescription medications will not cure this virus
- Usually lasts 24-72 hours
- Resume normal diet as tolerated
Sore throat vs Strep throat:Strep throat:
- History of fever
- Swollen lymph nodes
- White spots on tonsils, red and swollen tonsils
- Absence of cough
*Come to the Health and Wellness Center and see the Nurse Practitioner for testing. Please bring insurance card as this will be a billed visit.
Sore throat/Cold/Viral Illness:
- No fever
- Red tonsils
Treatment: Over the counter medications Ibuprofen, push fluids, rest, warm salt water gargle.If you are unsure, come to the HWC to talk to the nurse and decide together which route is best for you.
Flu shots are available at the HWC, it is not too late to get your flu shot. Please check with your insurance to determine cost. Simply stop in or call the HWC to schedule an appointment with the nurse and bring your insurance card.