Between Thursday and next Monday (June 3), the library will be unveiling a new, expanded catalog. Search power and content is provided by WorldCat, a source for global library searching and simplified interlibrary requests. The product, WorldCat Local, looks and feels like WorldCat and FirstSearch but integrates local call number and shelving information for Beloit College Library and Information Technology resources.
There’s more, but first, a few details to explain what we will be up to over the next five days and what you can expect from a visit (face-to-face or virtual) to the library:
- Beginning on Thursday, the library will be lending materials using a manual process. Please be patient as we take time to record your information accurately.
- Library account information - the ability to renew items and see the list of what you have checked out - will be changing. The last day to use the current MyAccount to renew materials will be Wednesday (May 29). More news on the new account features soon. Until then, please call the circulation desk at ext. 2230 for help with renewal of library material.
- The address for BelCat (our library catalog) will change to beloit.worldcat.org. We'll be making changes to library Web pages and subscription resources that link back to our catalog. If your syllabus, Moodle, or Web pages include a recommendation to search the library, you will need to update the link. If you need help, drop us a line (email@example.com).
- Searching for books, media, and Internet resources at Beloit and beyond won't require two searches! Search the world AND Beloit at the same time.
- Bonus! Search results will also include article citations from indexed databases, and where available, direct links to the article content. More news and tips on getting the most of this new tool coming soon.
- Linking from other resources back to BelCat may take time to update. If you find a link you believe should take you to Beloit’s catalog (or run a catalog search for you) but doesn't, please let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The library will retire (actually, unplug) its current version of BelCat at 5 p.m. Friday (May 31). If you have any questions about the library system transition please call or stop by the library. You are also welcome to email or chat questions or comments to the reference account: email@example.com (AskALibrarian) or to Lisa Viezbicke firstname.lastname@example.org.