The college will test its emergency alert system on Wednesday (Sept. 2) at 12:30 p.m. As a part of the test, all faculty, staff, and students should receive an email, phone call, and text message at or around the common hour.
How We Teach Biology at Beloit College
- Students learn fundamental biological principles, biometric analyses, current field methods, and important laboratory techniques in workshop and laboratory courses.
- In their Biology courses, students work in cooperative/collaborative groups that design and implement research, and analyze and present their results.
- Students read and critically evaluate research papers published in biological journals.
- Students do independent research projects and participate in internships.
- Some student research is presented at professional conferences and published in biological journals.
- Students may submit a report of original research or a review article for publication in The Beloit Biologist, the department journal.
We teach science the way it is practiced by scientists: as a hypothesis-driven method of inquiry and persuasion.
Our Biology curriculum is built on the five benchmarks of Effective Educational Practice
- Academic challenge
- Active and collaborative learning
- Student interaction with faculty members
- Enriching educational experiences
- Supportive campus environment