Skip Navigation

The Diary of Arthur H. Smith

Ye Army Book 

By a Soldier

Arthur H. Smith

Co. B. 40 th

Regt. Wis. Vols.

The Campaign in Dixie and How it Ended

From May 16 th to Sept. 21 st 1864

Transcribed by Emeritus Professor Nelson Van Valen Beloit College History


Memorandum book-Sworn in to the U.S. Service for 100 days Monday eve. May 16 th 1864. Flag and Bible presentation Tues. eve. May 17 th. Left Beloit Thurs. (19 th) A.M. 9.30. Stop at Clinton Junc. 3 hrs. Left C.J. on C. & N.W. R.R. at 1.30 P.M. Change cars at Milton Junc. on the Milwaukee & P. du Chien R.R. Arrived Madison 4.30 p.m. Marched to barracks on the R.R.-about a mile west of the depot near the University. Proceeded immediately to clean out bunks &c. Supper about 8.00 P.M. Terrible yelling and shouting all night long. Boys will get bravely over this soon.


Friday May 20 th

Went over the city of Madison. Capitol is a fine building-splendid view from the university. Woman discovered in camp last night-called herself Tom Travis. Great excitement consequent. Sworn in at Beloit. Only 3 or 4 hrs. sleep last night. All sorts of speculations as to our organization, destination &c. No guards around " Camp Randall". Crawl out hole in back fence and come in front gate.

Saturday May 21 st

Drill in A.M. Mother went home at 2.10. Weather hot.

Sunday May 22 nd

Rec'd. Dispatch in A.M. by J. Butler to Prof. Butler as follows: Beloit May 21 st 1864 to Prof. J.C. Butler. Tell Arthur H. Smith Beloit Company not to muster in. J.J. Blaisdell. Showed it to Capt. Allen, who gave me a furlough till Friday A.M. As for "backing out" I couldn't if I would, and I wouldn't if I could. Soldiers ticket to Janesville. Left Madison 10.15 P.M. Arr. Clinton Junc. 1.15 A.M. No connection with trains from Racine, and the next train not due for 12 hrs. Started at once for Beloit on foot, and reached there at 4:45. Distance 10 (?) miles. A variety of plans on foot for inducing Col. Ray to discharge me on some grounds of health &c &c. Prof. Blaisdell has written to Col. R. and I am to return tonight and see what will come of it. Went to Mr. Brown's in A.M. and delivered Will's letter, and was invited to tea, and went. Found also that Henry Porter has enlisted, and was sworn in this P.M. Good for Henry! Saw Prof. Porter in eve. Thinks I will be able to make up in college &c &c.

Tuesday May 24 th

Left Beloit for Madison at 9.20 A.M. Furlough only extends till "Tuesday Morning" but I shall not reach M. till 4:30 P.M. and will take the risk. Arr. Cl. Junc. in ½ hour. Went with Lt. Smith out in the country to dinner (B.B. Olds). Left at 1.50 P.M. Arr. Madison 4 P.M. Felt unwell and didn't eat any supper. Great numbers of furloughs given until Friday. Brown went home with many others. Capt. And 1 st Lieut. Gone among the rest. Nothing said about the furlough.

Wednesday May 25 th

Felt quite well again. After breakfast found so many had gone that the details for duty reached to the S's. Didn't get drawn however for kitchen duty, but an orderly soon came from another co. with an order for a detail for duty at headquarters. Self and one other man went, and were sent to the hospital to help was and c. At noon found that nearly all the rest of the Co. were going home, on furloughs till Monday. After much waiting, obtained a furlough until Monday, and went around the city in P.M. Forgot to report for "fatigue duty". Left Madison in the eve. As before at 10.05 P.M. and arrived at Clinton Junc. 1.20 A.M. Stopped there nearly an hour, and reached Beloit at 2.45. Ran around Beloit for 4 days, and on Monday A.M. left in a wagon for Janesville with a dozen others to save waiting 3 hrs at Clinton. Distance 14 miles. Left B. 10.30 and arr. J. 1.30. Took 1.45 train for Milton and arr. Madison 4.30 Proceeded immediately to the lake, and afterward to the camp.

Tuesday May 31 st

Regimental "Inspection" for the first time. In P.M. Wright and I went up town and visited the rooms of the State Historical Society, under the Baptist ch. They have about 20,000 volumes, and many curiosities &c. Felt unwell and didn't eat any supper.

Wednesday June 1 st

Felt better. Today a regt. Of veterans left, and 100 day men are now put on guard alone.

June 2 nd

Examined in the morning and approved. This performance is a perfect show throughout.

June 3 rd

Prof. Blaisdell arrived. Multitudes of rumors about being mustered. Expected certainly to come off tomorrow. Absentees telegraphed for &c. Dress parade in eve. And Gen. Orders No. 4, ordering roll call at 5 A.M. Breakfast at 6. Drill 7 to 9 and Dinner 12. Drill 2 to 4, Supper 6. Roll call 8.

June 4 th

Expected certainly to be mustered but it did not come off.

Sunday June 5 th

In P.M. Prof. Blaisdell made a sort of extempore address to the regiment between headquarters and the company barracks. Everyone appeared deeply interested.

Monday June 6 th

Nothing to be noted but muster rumors. It was expected that we should certainly be mustered in this P.M. but it did not come off, owing to the absence of several men.

June 7 th

Muster stories again. The last absentees arrived this A.M. Capt. Prof. Blaisdell and all agreed that it would certainly come off at 3:00 P.M. At 2.30 fell in and drilled a little after which the 8 Co's were drawn up in alphabetical order, and the mustering began. Roll was called, and as their names were announced the men formed a new line. When all were in, the mustering officer administered the oath to support the Gov't &c and this over the Co. was dismissed. Four rejected out of our Co., embracing nearly all the ordinary causes. When we returned to our barracks there were 3 deafening cheers. When Co's A, B, C, and D were mustered, the " West Point hound" became "tired" and declined further proceedings.

June 8 th

This morning the officer turned up again, and succeeded in going through the performance of mustering Co's E, F, G, and H. I, is yet in embryo, and whether our time begins now, no one knows. Shall draw clothes "tomorrow".

June 9 th

Captain said we should draw clothes in P.M. and we omitted drill and went into the lake, but didn't get the clothes.

June 10 th

All the talk is "our clothes!" "our clothes" Capt. Wouldn't draw them because we couldn't get the coats too and it would be too much &c &c.

June 11 th

In P.M. drew guns, and in evening clothes. Such confusion was never before witnessed. Hurrying, scrambling, and trying on accouterments, and clothes. It is said that we are ordered to leave Tuesday at 8 A.M. for Memphis. It is said to have come from headquarters and is believed....

June 12 th

A great Sunday this! "No Sundays in the army!" I should think so. Trying on accouterments, talking, swearing, laughing-went to 1 st Cong. Ch. in A.M. At 3 P.M. were ordered out for inspection. Out in the sun and dust awhile and then back. Then out again with guns and equipment and an inspection. Afterward a sermon by Prof. Blaisdell as on last Sunday. In evening went again to 1 st Cong ch. and heard Prof. Blaisdell again. Splendid sermon. Is 55:8.

June 13 th

Getting ready. Go tomorrow sure. On "water detail" until eve. When I went to Madison. [Recruiting Officer J.G.] Kendall came up and paid the long-promised bounties. Universal rejoicing and congratulation.

June 14 th

Waked up long before light. Packing knapsacks &c till breakfast and then drew 3 days rations and fell in. Train of 18 or more cars backed up from the depot and the reg. fell into line and took a final leave of Camp Randall. Co. B. being last was crowded out and had to take its chances. A good many of us were obliged to stand up. Left Madison about 9.30 A.M. Rate of speed about 10 miles per hour. Stop every little ways and wait for some train. Rec'd bibles on board train. At length reached Chicago about midnight. Marched to the Soldier's Rest, and waited ever so long for something to eat. Got it about 3 something "extra" provided by Beloit citizens of co. Strawberries &c. About daylight marched to C.A. and St. L. depot. Tried to send a dispatch to Chas. Left C. about 5. Made better time than on the other road. Reached Alton at 10 P.M. Saw nothing of Chas. Trouble about engine &c and train couldn't go on. In consequence had to stay in the cars all the rest of the night. In the morning the regt. Was marched on board the David Tatum for St. Louis. (Four Cos. Went on in the night) Left Alton about 7 A.M. arrived at St. Louis at 9.30 and after a time the regt. Was transferred to the steamboat S. M. Kinnett. Left St. Louis about 5 P.M. Passed 2 monitors at Cavandolet and kept on without interruption until between 9 and 10 when the boat laid up for the night. Being heavily loaded it was not considered safe to go on in the night.

June 17 th

Started again at about 4.30 A.M. and kept on at good speed. Distance to Cairo from St. Louis 180 miles. Reached Cairo just at dusk and stayed there only about an hour. No one allowed to go ashore except 5 for water. None to be had. Only 1 well in town. The 17 th art. passed us just at the mouth of the Ohio on the J. D. Perry. The 122 nd has gone.

June 18 th

Passed Columbus in the night when all were asleep and saw nothing. Drew 12 rounds of cartridges a piece in the forenoon. Passed Island No. 10 and Fort Pillow just before sunset. Splendid moonlight night for traveling. Passed the wrecks of 2 sunken steamboats today. One was "Telegraph." Too much dispatch perhaps. Lay up at a wood-yard on the Arkansas side from 11.30 till morning. Had pickets out. Started again about 5 A.M. of June 19 th. Arrived at Memphis about 9.30 A.M. Laid on the sidewalk again after waiting a long time we marched east about a mile through Main and Poplar Sts. & N. about a quarter more to a large yard where we turned in. The hottest day we ever knew. Thermometer 125 (in the sun). Stragglers without number. Rested 2 or 3 times at that. The yard shady and pleasant. 2 P.M. when we arrived, stragglers came in for 2 hrs from the mile and half march. Divided into messes and drew rations. Slept of course out of doors, on our blankets.

June 20 th

Began to rain after roll-call. Great ado making tents &c. Made about a dozen during the day. Prof. Blaisdell says col. Thinks we shall stay here for the present and do picket duty. 5 days ago there were 50,000 men here. The vicinity of Memphis is one vast camp. Can't get to the town at all.

June 21 st

Rainy. Rumored we shall stay here and do patrol and picket duty in town. Nothing certainly known. 35 th and 36 th Iowa and 42 nd Ohio are camped close by.

June 22 nd

On detail as guard. Rainy. In P.M. drew tents and moved camp. Wet through the night before. Nice time. Guarding commissary.

June 23 rd

Fixing the new tents. Transferred and retransferred from the "Eagle Mess". A mock inspection in P.M. Officer didn't come.

June 24 th

Waked at 4 o'clock by the Orderly. An expedition is to start out, and volunteers are wanted. At roll-call every one willing to go was desired to step out 2 paces. Almost every man stepped out. Want 62 men. Non com. Off. And priv. Draw 1 ration. Must start at 6 A.M. At about 7 A.M. started. Marched to the camp of the 44 th Iowa. Near by was the first post. Line ran north to a road running east and west. Was stationed on the "out post" with H.D.P. and Ed Coffin. Nothing to do. Rained very hard in P.M. At night took turns by "reliefs" Wet and dewy, but slept well. Relieved at 9.00 A.M. next day June 25 th and returned to camp. A sort of "battalion drill" in the evening.

June 26 th

To " Wolf River" in the morning. A great many sick in the Regt. Almost as hot as last Sunday. Prayer meeting in eve as usual.

June 27 th

Succeeded in getting a pass "down town" and made good use of it. Went to Fort Pickering but couldn't get in-no pass. Also to the Sayoso House [illeg.] &c &c. Overton Hospital &c P.M. Messing abandoned. Starvation ensues for 4 days.

June 28 th

Permission given by the military authorities for 4 from each Co. to attend the Theater in the eve. Draw lots.

June 29 th

Guard again. Weather very hot.

June 30 th

Mustered for pay in the morning. What does this mean?

July 1 st

Porter, Winslow, Kimball, Newhall and I went out foraging beyond the lines. Pretty good success.

July 2 nd

Last eve. Detail for picket, and afterward for trainguard. Got on the 1 st, and then changed. Left camp at 5.15 A.M. for the depot. 6 from each Co. Capt. Barton Co. K coming. Waited at the M&C depot 3 hrs. 1 train left before us. At about 8.15 left Memphis and had a train of about a dozen cars loaded with wagon mules. Passed Collierseville. Fight said to be going on near—about 2 miles and ½ distant. Arr. Lagrange about 1.25 and waited there nearly 4 hrs. Reached Memphis in about 12 hrs. from time we left that the rebel cavalry were reported driven back. At Memphis there had been a very severe rain, but only a slight sprinkle with us. Marched to camp in the mud and dark.

July 3 rd

Preaching and inspection in A.M.

July 4 th

Awakened by the guns at the fort and elsewhere. Continued at intervals during the day. The officers of several companies treated their men to lemonade &c.

July 5 th

On picket again. Plenty of blackberries and mosquitoes. Lay awake all night, nearly.

July 6 th

Heard that the 37 th Iowa Greybeard Regt. was fired into the train yesterday and had 4 wounded-2 mortally. Camp guards taken off in the day time.

July 7 th

Gen. Washburne's R.R. order issued. Drill hereafter before breakfast.

July 8 th

On picket again. No mails for 2 days. New Madrid reported taken by the rebels, and a blockade of the Miss. Pro tem.

July 9 th

Two enormous mails yesterday and today. Nothing heard of the New Madrid story.

July 10 th

Last night one Small co. F died in the hospital. Aged 18 and leaves a wife and child. Sermons A.M. About 6.30 P.M. funeral. The whole regt. formed in a hollow square west of headquarters, and the 8 guards fired the usual 3 volleys. The Chaplain made suitable remarks, and we came back.

July 11 th

A special detail made very early of 6 men to guard a train to Lagrange as before. By extra efforts succeeded in taking Coffin's place. So did also porter and Winslow. Left camp, Capt. Twining Co. C in command at about 4.30 and reached the depot in the course of an hour. Left on the train at 7.40 A.M. The "Secesh Guard" force, but for some reason returned in the _______ in which they _______ At/Lt. White it out? They _______ Ged by Gen. is stopped, reported that Gen._____has forbidden______ eve/went on with? Arrived Lagrange 11.30 and left at 1. P.M. About a mile east of Moscow the engine broke and detained us 2 ½ hrs. in repairing it. Arrived at Memphis by 7 P.M. and reached camp at 8.

July 12 th

As Capt. Allen was on duty today exchanged with Bushnell and went on picket. All Co. B was on Capt. 2 posts. Had a nice time confiscating vegetables and newspapers and plenty to eat.

July 13 th

Brigade inspection in the moning. Rumor of moving tents-not confirmed.

July 14 th

Fixing beds &c. Camp guards put on again.

July 15 th

Another train detail very early. Changed with Billings. Left camp about 5 A.M. as usual, and waited at the depot until 8. Capt. Hansen comdg. Passed the 6 th Tennessee Ills. West of Germantown. Arr. La Grange about noon and rode on to Grand Junction. When the train was ready to return, the conductor failed to let Capt. Hansen know it, and we were left. Capt. H. drew some crackers from the commissary and we had enough to eat. Attended in eve. by Chaplain of the 44 Ind. ?? Methodisdic. Next A.M. July 16 th went on a big blackberrying excursion and was gone several hours. When the train came rode to the junction on the cow-catcher and left for Memphis at 1 P.M. 3 ½ hours to Memphis.

July 17 th

A man from Co. C died yesterday. Another military funeral.

July 18 th

On picket on 2 nd Lieuts. Road. Bought lots of "pies and things" to eat. Musquitoes and a stray bullet at night.

July 19 th

Returned from picket and heard of another train detail. In the course of the day there was a detail for "steamboat-guard". Succeeded in being among the number. More excitement and anxiety to go than ever before. Guns inspected and some thrown out. At about 1.30 left camp, and marched to the levey. Saw A.A. Barnard. Left Memphis on the S.B. "Lady"-sternwh-in the course of 2 or 3 hrs. About 8.30 rounded to at Cow Island, 25 miles below Memphis and lay anchored in the middle of the river until 3.30 A.M.

July 20 th

Passed Gunboat No 38 at anchor, the Rose Hanibleton and other boats. Arrived at St. Francis Island a mile or so above the mouth of the river about the middle of the forenoon. Here the wreck of the Mariner lies stranded. Landed, and started on an exploring expedition up the bar under the Capt. A bootlesschase. Pickets finally posted and soon after ordered back. Guards on the boat instead. Expedition formed to the Miss. Side in the P.M. returned with a bull and calf. Plenty of fresh meat. Toward night an expedition to the Arkansas side to pick up boats, but none found. About 8 P.M. pickets posted about 1/8 mile from the boat. North. Reserves and 4 posts-3 reliefs. Jokes about "special orders" on reception of Capt's message in regard to the whistle. In case it sounds, double quick to the boat. No alarm during the night. 2 gun boats passed down.

July 21 st

Relieved about 4 and sent to the boat. Another expedition in the A.M. on the Arkansas side. Went to the "spring" and to the mouth of the St. Francis and a short distance up that stream. Returned with Sunday chickens and a quantity of green corn. Also various papers and traps from Dr. Ewarts office. Green rowers and exceedingly hard work to get the boat back. Foraging bad policy as it only exasperates the natives who are strongly tempted to give information to bushwhackers. In the afternoon several citizens brought vegetables &c on board and bought whisky and tobacco. The machinery is mostly on board and 1 boiler. Prospect of getting off by Sunday.

July 22 nd

The other boiler was got on last night. No alarm of the pickets. Same citizens came again and brought a little "truck" and stayed nearly all day. Toward night the W.R. Arthur wooded at the yard opposite. Papers but little news. On guard.

July 23 rd

Pickets set last night as usual, but in about an hour Capt. Sent for us to come in immediately, which we did and then swung out into the main stream. Some citizens came again. Very suspiscious. Marine fleet passed up in P.M. 3 boats. In the course of the day everything was on coal and all and we were ready to go. The Rose Hambleton going up stopped and sent a boat ashore by order of Gen. Somebody (Buford) ? tendering supplies if needed. Left about sunset. Some difficulty in getting of ____ the bar. A short distance up the stream it became necessary to stop close to the Miss. Side, and repair the engine. Didn't run much in the night. Wheel broke and hindered us a considerable time. Shots at turkeys and turkey-buzzards, and wild geese. Passed a monitor about 2 P.M. Also a "dispatch boat" or something else soon after. Ran very slow and did not reach Memphis till after sundown, and camp about 8. Found boxes and letters.

July 25 th

3 of the mess are sick. Brown in the hospital. A mock dress parade in the evening. Pretty keen.

July 26 th

Lots of things bought with co. fund yesterday and today. Mackerel, cheese, corn-meal, &c. &c. Dress parades and battalion drills abandoned while we were gone down the river, by advice of the surgeon.

July 27 th

On picket. Lieut's _____ post.

July 28 th

An infinite number of rumors about going North. Nothing confirmed. A great many sick. 9 in the hospital. Down Grade begins.

July 29 th

Train guards every other day. Don't get on. Rumors of opening Miss. Central to Holly Springs. On picket. A few posts south of the R.R. J.S.L. &c as usual. The Billings-Goodell row in camp.

July 30 th

Pretence of rain. New arrangement in detailing "train guard".

July 31 st

Traded with Kinney picket for train guard. Lewis and Fitch along. Left camp, as usual very early under Lieut. Spooner. Waited of course at the depot for several hours, and left at last about 8.15. Arr. La Grange by noon. Near Germantown a dozen box-cars smashed up. One entire brigade went out today-12, 14, 35 th Iowa, 33 rd Mo, 7 th Minn. Supposed to Holly Springs. The road-Miss. Cen.-is being repaired. Ran around as usual and returned 2.15 in 3 ½ hours.

Aug. 1 st

On water detail. A great rain last night but none too much. Regimental inspection in P.M. Capt. Phelps inspector.

Aug. 2 nd

On picket at Capt's post Lieut. Northrop acting. Every thing imaginable to eat and drink.

Aug. 3 rd

Raising tents &c. Rains and rumors of rains.

Aug. 4 th

Another "train-guard" last night. The last one not yet returned. Supposed to have gone to Holly Springs been "captured" &c. They returned about midnight, and this A.M. tell hard stories of their being on 2 days, the last one with no bread. Shot cattle and chickens &c. I had changed with Dorrance (Andrew W. Dorrance) and we left camp early as usual. At the depot a considerable number of troops in motion. The 14 th and 32 nd Iowa and 24 th Mo. Went our first, on a long train. The cars then being full, the discovery was made that we were not wanted and so we marched back to camp. "Big thing" on "train-guard". Made a bunk &c. Co "I" returned, and a new detail took its place. One man, Smith, shot himself accidentally. Military funeral in eve.

Aug. 5 th

On camp guard. Changed so as to be on water detail, to be on picket tomorrow. No letter mail for 2 days-big one today.

Aug. 6 th

On picket. Train detail sold again. Hinebaugh, Com. Sergt. Died this morning. On 1 st post S. of the oil mill/well. The grandest of "grand rounds" in the forenoon. Col. Kincaid and sundry others on horseback.

Aug. 7 th

Alverson has been appointed Sergt. In place of Hinebaugh. Body of the latter taken to the city.

Aug 8 th

For a wonder not on duty. Syme and I got passes to the 39 th and 41 st Wis. And went over to their camps south of town. A long walk, and a good time. A very heavy rainfall-the hardest since we came. Returned via the city. Stores closed-militia parade. Great newspaper mail.

Aug 9 th

Sat up the last half of last night with Bushnell-not on duty today. Big rain again.

Aug 10 th

On picket S. of R.R. 3 posts. A drizzling rain all the forenoon. Cleared off afterward.

Aug 11 th

A detail made early this A.M. for fatigue duty downtown. Went down town on a pass in P.M. To the "Navy yard" &c. Rain and blow in the P.M. and eve.

Aug 12 th

On water detail again. Bushnell died last night. Help dig his grave in P.M. Continued rains forevented the funeral.

Aug 13 th

May acting Orderly in place of Sweezy [Swezey] gone to Holly Springs. Not on detail. A brigade inspection in the P.M. Not very rigid after all.

Aug 14 th

W.H. Shumaker died last night about 3 o'clock. Funeral of Bushnell last night. I acted as one of the 8 "guards". On picket. Post east of "Atkinson's" No 7. Henry and a Co. A chap. Barton Capt. ____? Shumaker buried in the morning. Rain by fits and jerks.

Aug 15 th

More rumors about going and staying here. Kimball and I got a pass to the 41 st and went and returned through town. "Malish" [militia] again. Met 2 regts.

Aug 16 th

Capt Allen and Lieut Northrop both on picket today. Traded with Kimball for train detail. Put on "fatigue" duty after all. Finally left with the train-guard, and arrived about 1 A.M. at the depot. Lieut Dewitt commanding. Reached LaGrange about noon. Had on the 119 th Ills. And 5 th Minn. Reenlisted veterans. Arrived at Holly Springs about 4 P.M. and proceeded "up town". Found the 122 nd Ills. but Henry McNeil was sick in Gayosi ? Hospital Memphis. Saw William Howell. Holly Springs was a most beautiful place-now mostly destroyed. The 122 nd have their headquarters in the ??H. and Co D in a store. Plenty of peaches, but none to be had. Returned to the depot, and cooked a supper and afterward drew some rations.

Aug 17 th

Slept in a car—sound as longs. Co B comfortable. Disturbed at night by troops arriving. In the morning after breakfast the rest of the expedition started out. There were 2 brigades and 1 battery of artillery. Of these there were the 58 Ills, 89 th Ind, 119 th Ills, 14 th Iowa, 27 th Iowa, and 32 nd Iowa. These marched off. Besides this the 5 th Minn and 47 th Ills were sent on the train for "the front" which is 17 miles in advance on the Tallahatchie river. The 47 th's time was up yesterday, and they didn't want to go on, but Gen. Smith made them a speech, hoped they wouldn't disgrace themselves &c &c. He would bring them back within 15 days sure &c. They went. Gen. Smith and staff were to leave also on the train. We left between 7 and 8 A.M. and found only the 120 th Ills between Holly Springs and Grand junction at Davis Mill. At the Junction it began to rain, and continued at short intervals violently, all the way to Colliersville. Creeks and Wolf River very high. A little patch of sunshine and ran into another rain which lasted till we reached camp. Wet and miserable. The end of this "expedish".

Aug 18 th

Short of men for picket, so I volunteered, though not liable. On Hosmer's post-closed road North of Capt's-Syme and Geo. Shue. Henry on train-guard. A wet time, rain incessant, and no good protection. Contrived however to get something to eat, but wet, wet, wet! Heard that hereafter the pickets are to stay 48hrs on a post instead of 24.

Aug 19 th

A wet hard night. Very few guns would go this morning, and all as rusty as possible. Took all the morning to clean the guns—and move too. The matter of 48 hrs stay on picket held under advisement. Got a pass down town in P.M. and went to Gayoso ?? Hospital. After sundry disappointments and much waiting met 5 th Sergt Co. F who gave information in regard to H. F. McN. He at last appeared. Stayed a long time. Afterward saw A.A. Bernard. A big mail came in this P.M. Pickets are only to stay 24hrs as before. A glimmer of reason. Train details after picket. In consequence no men for the former.

Aug 20 th

On picket 2 nd post N. of R.R. Misty but no rain. Kimball, Syme, and Shue.

Aug 21 st

Early this A.M. shots were heard as if from a gun boat down the river, and it was supposed there might be rebels across the river. The alarm was soon given that Memphis was full of rebels, and stragglers both citizens and soldiers went running by next to the 35 th Iowa. Some from the 3 rd Ill. Cavalry and 137 th Ills. also came in and stated that the rebs had come in in great force on the Hernando road, and dashed by the pickets and entering their camp called on the Yankee sons of _____ to surrender. The 3 rd Cavalry had yesterday turned over their horses and arms at Germantown and having nothing to defend themselves with made their escape as best they could. The 137 th lost 8 or 10 killed, being shot down as fast as they came out of their tents. The latter are said to be riddled with holes and are reported plundered by the rebs. The firing below continued from five o'clock until seven or later, at intervals, and we could also hear musketry, both quite distinct. At the first alarm the 33 rd Mo.-which was close by our pickets turned out in line of battle and marched to join the 35 th Iowa on the main road, who also formed in line. The two mustered from their convalescent camps perhaps two good sized companies. The Major of the 33 rd rode off for orders, but receiving none, his men stacked arms by the 35 th camp and returned to their own. Somewhat later the 33 rd boys went for their arms took them to their own camp, and did not turn out again during the day. Just about daylight the roll-call drum sounded from the 40 th and it was quickly succeeded by the long roll, when the entire regiment turned out- including most of those reported sick. Of their movements, however, we were in blissful ignorance and were compelled to remain at our posts while those fortunate enough to be in camp went to "the front". We could have died of vexation and exasperation, but there was no help for one of the camps to the North and the various squads from different regiments fell in line of battle in front of the 35 th. For some reason it seemed to take an extraordinary length of time before they were ready to move and then it appeared to be with great deliberation. However at least they started, numbering perhaps 300 or so, according to the estimates of the old soldiers. They went west on the Old Raleigh Road, and then South. In the course of two or three hours, a squad of 75 or 100 returned and went North to chase as it turned out, a detachment of the rebs who went that way. That was the last we saw or heard the capt's post on the Old Raleigh road and reported as from Germantown, where they had been telegraphed to. They rode down along our lines. This was all we could see, the rest was rumor and wild report. Meanwhile as we afterward learned the 40 th marched to the 39 th and reached that camp, and was ordered to the front and supported a battery for a considerable time, and after the rebel battery withdrew they were marched in pursuit (For full particulars see Memphis Bulletin of Aug 22 nd and 23 rd) They were exposed to a very hot fire of bullets and shell for half an hour but were cool and collected. A few men in the regiment were wounded, but none so far as now known very seriously. The regiment spent the rest of the day in marching and countermarching and finally returned to camp about 4 P.M. tired and hungry having had nothing to eat since Saturday night.

Aug 22 nd

About 3 A.M. the long-roll beat in the various regiments, as ordered the night before, and all the troops immediately fell out in line of battle but there was no alarm given. The 32 nd and 35 th boys concentrated near our picket posts, to the number of 120 or so and remained with stacked arms awaiting an attack until daylight. Nothing unusual was noticed however, and there was very little firing along/on the lines for a wonder. An additional force was sent to the Capt's post and 2 pieces of artillery were posted close by. We were relieved about 7.30 A.M.

Aug 23 rd

Waked at 4.30 by the long roll and the regiment fell in, but soon stacked arms and returned to their quarters. On picket. Corp. Spears, J.L./F.C. Curtis and A. Blair. Post last but two on S. end of line. Heard heavy volleys of musketry toward the 39 th camp and on going to the camp for rations, the long roll was beaten just as I crossed the road in front of camp. Asked the Capt. if I should "fall in" and he said yes. The regt. marched down town the back way, some of the time on a "double double quick" or dead run. Met men women and children running, who said the fighting was in Union St. Forrest was reported advancing on the town with 17,000 men. Memphis never knew a greater panic (see Argus and Bulletin of Aug 24 th) Musket shots were heard in all directions and also shells from the fort. We marched nearly to Poplar St. when the Col. Took the right wing and Lt. Col. Fallows the left. On Poplar St. Co B was detached from the rest of the regt. and we saw them no more. We went around the market house, and up Washington St. across a bridge near 5 th St. The Millitia were making the negroes tear up the bridges, and we were stationed close by. We continued to hear musket shots occasionally, and also from the guns at the fort. However it Co B however received no orders and might have stayed there till them to come back. The rest of the regt. had been back some time. I stayed till nearly 5, waiting for the mail, and then returned to my post. Lt. Sabin had just been along and as orders had been rec'd after I left not to leave the posts, he took my name to "report" me.

Aug 24 th

Sabin thinks I subject myself to "severe punishment" in leaving my post. Northrop and Smith think otherwise. Got a pass to the 41 st. In P.M. went down town on it, and saw Barnard and Henry McNeil. Spent most of the afternoon with the latter in the Gayoso hospital and around the city.

Aug 25 th

On picket last post south end of line. Fitch, Curtis, and Blair. Musquitoes wonderfully thick.

Aug 26 th

This A.M. after returning from picket, Lt. Smith said Col. Wanted to see me-was going to put me "on duty". The Col. Was at Capt. Allen's headquarters, and said I was to report at the office of Lt. Townsend a. a. Genl. At Genl. Washburn's headquarters. Lt. said must "fix up" and look as nice as I could-Clean shirt, paper color, black boots &c. Col. Left the detail for me as follows:

Head Qrs. Camp 40 th Regt Wis. Near Memphis Tenn. Aug. 26 th '64

Private Arthur Smith of Comp. B is hereby detailed to report at Head Qrs. Genl. Washburn Dist. Of West Tenn. At the office of Lt. Townsend A. A. Genl. Dist. W. Tenn. Immediately.

W. Aug. Ray

Col. Comdg. Regt.

"Fixed up" as well as I could in the forenoon and immediately after dinner went down town to Genl. Washburn's Head. Qrs. On Union St. Was shown into the clerk's (Furloughs for Kendall, Taggert and Cooper through the influence of Lt. Smith. They left for Beloit this P.M.) rooms and copied a Special Order. The Lt. (A.A.G.) was not in, but the clerk who took the paper thought the handwriting would "have to do." So I ate a peach not an Argus, and waited for the A.A.G. "Citizens received from 2 to 5 P.M." and before long a motly crowd collected before the door. After a while Genl. W. came in and attended to their complaints. At length the "Lt." came in and the clerk said, "the Lieut. says the writing will not do." I bowed and retired, not caring at all. I then went to the 41 st and 39 th and got my watch, and cemetary, and avoiding the Pigeon Roost and State Line Roads. Reached home very late, and outrageously tired after so long a trail.

Aug. 27 th

On "camp guard" today. Only have to stand 2 ½ hrs. in the night. 2 nd relief. In P.M. a new detail of 8 men for picket to take the place of the Greybeards to return to Alton. This takes nearly every available man, and so it is reported those now on pickett will have to stay until relieved by some other regt. Increased and thicking rumors about being relieved of picket duty what the Lt. Col. Said &c &c. It is reported that Gen. Stecle's army is coming to relieve us from Little Rock and that Smith and his expedition is at Holly Springs. Rumors on rumors. Visit from H.F. McNeil in eve. On guard from 12 to 3.

Aug 28 th

The extra detail was relieved last night about midnight by convalescents from the neighboring regiments and returned to camp. No details this A.M. for picket, those out will stay there 48 hrs. Church at 3 P.M. Showery. Renewed rumors &c.

Aug 29 th

On picket. New principle about the Capt's post. Watermelons and peaches plenty. Gen. Smith is reported in town, and the expedition coming. What it has accomplished does not appear.

Aug 30 th

An infinity of rumors and times set like the Millerites. After dinner a great muster of cavalry from the expedition went by our camp to their own. The infantry regts. soon followed. Felt unwell, and didn't eat much.

Aug 31 st

On picket 2 nd p.s. of R.R. Only 2 men. Henry and J. [William H.] Fitch Corp. Cloudy and hard rain. Not very well. Didn't eat anything. Good remedy. Story via Jack Lewis, Lt. Spencer and Major Bingham from Gen. Washburn that we shall be relieved next Wednesday. Older soldiers thick as blackberries and their fine bands particularly audible.

Sept. 1 st

This A.M. about 8 or 9 all pickets north of the Capt's post were relieved by the 8 th Wis. And returned to camp. Great excitement ensued. Guns cleaned and turned over tomorrow. Put "under arrest" by Capt. Allen officer of the day for firing a gun (snapping powder out). Capt. ordered Orderly to set me at digging in a sink. But I declined. A detail for gun cleaning. More stories. 7 th Minn. Ordered off on a boat. Hair cut by B.F.G.

Sept 2 nd

Troops and bands moving and playing all the first part of the night. A grand expedition down or up the river. Being "under-arrest" not detailed. No change in the details on account of the relief yesterday. It is generally considered as a mistake. Finally, the 2 nd Lt's squad stacked armes, and were ordered not to leave camp but to be ready to fall in at a moment's notice. The "notice" came in an hour or so, and not long after 2 successive details taking in all 7 Privates, a Sergt. and a Corp. This nearly cleaned out Co. B. I am supposed to be still "under arrest" and Smith says I hadn't better leave camp. Three wood-yard fellows came in asking to be relieved. Just at supper-time found I was detailed with Parsons and Patchin for the wood-yard, to take their place immediately. No help for it, so we made ready and went down. Co. B is now with the Lt, having made some arrangement to exchange their river post every 3 days with Co. F. 3 rd Stand every night, and every 3 rd day. Post on the road by the bayou. Millions of mosquitoes. Neither sleep nor comfort. This comes the nearest to my idea of purgatory of anything I ever experienced. In the day-time there are swarms of tormenting gnats. "No rest for the wicked."

Sept 3 rd

Went to camp, and we had a dull time. Hot and uncomfortable. When he returned—nearly 4 P.M.-I got a pass to town and walking fast, reached the Gayoso ?? Hospital in good time to get in. Found McNeil just ready to leave, making out papers, packing knapsack &c. Stayed with him and had a good supper when he went to his regt. on Poplar St. Thinks they may be sent to Cairo. Yesterday A.M. 15 boat-loads of cavalry crossed the river and nearly as many infantry went down. Destination White River.

Sept 4 th

Good breeze part of last night and not so many mosquitoes. Our relief (1 st) is on guard today. A few melons captured. More rumors from camp-going N. Thursday.

Sept 5 th

Another breeze but mosquitoes "awful thick" toward morning Hoe-cake trades. No rations but beef and hard-tack. Toward night the W.R. Arthur went up with a regt. on board. Other troops are on the levee-don't know who they are. Afterward heard that this is the expedition that went down returning on acct. of news from below.

Sept 6 th

Procured a pass and went to the city. Several boatloads of troops passed up in the evening. At the levee saw the 1 st and 3 rd brigades 3 rd Division read for shipment North. They are from their camps and not from below. The Bostona No. 2 left the levee about noon loaded and the S.M. Kennett was ready to follow. The City of Alton was expected to take up one brigade. The troops-some of them-that leave today so far as I can learn are the 1 st Brigade (Col. Rinakey 122 nd Ills) composed of the 89 th Ind. And the 58 th and 122 nd Ills. The latter was not there and I did not hear it was going. The 2 nd brigade (Col. Wolf 52 nd Ind) including the 52 nd Ind. 178 th N.Y. the 117 th and 49 th Ills. The last two I did not see-hadn't come yet. Those on the boats I could not learn the names of. The camp the story now is that we shall be relieved from picketing tomorrow and go home in a day or two. Major Sackland, the Officer of the day and the Lt. Col. Are adduced as authorities. Returned to the wood-yard toward night.

Sept 7 th

A good breeze, cool, and not very many mosquitoes. On guard. The S.M. Kennett went up this morning. In P.M. when the rations came out hearing that the relief was coming we started for camp. Immence blow and rain came up-couldn't get over the fence. Afterward it cleared off-met the 2 Foots and Fleisher relief.

Sept 8 th

Detail for picket as usual. In the course of the A.M. an ambulance train came for the sick and all who are unable to march. They are going up on the S.B. Silver Wave to Prairie Du Chein. Prof. Blaisdell is going with them. Quite a number of our Co. went. Continued rumors about leaving, but about the middle of the P.M. it was reported officially what we leave tomorrow. Pickets will be relieved tonight, or early in the morning. Went down town with Kimball and Newhall on business for Lt. Smith. Silver Wave not gone yet. Memphis came down. Militia day-companies drilling. At camp orders are to be up at 4 A.M. pack tents &c &c. All is confusion and packing up. Was detailed for fatigue early tomorrow A.M.

Sept 9 th

Waked at 3.30 by the roll call drums. In a short time all was confusion and tumult. Bonfires were made in several of the co. streets of sticks, bunks and rubbish. Orders were soon given to "Strike tents" and down they came. Co. A had its tents down last night, but the other Cos. Followed suit more deliberately. I was ordered to report to the commissary's for "fatigue" at 4, and went with the rest. It was quite dark and nothing was done but handing down the hospital tents. Went to co. again and finished turning over tents to Capt. At last breakfast. Then reported again. Busy in taking down tents &c. Meanwhile negroes and poor white trash swarmed around the camp, as they always do when soldiers leave. Ludicrous scenes happened. Drays, wheel barrows and carts in demand. Between 7 and 8 the regt. fell in, and marched down town yelling slightly. Regimental wagons busy for several hours. After much fussing, swearing, waiting and working the ammunition and tents were all hauled off and turned over down town or at the Fort and the baggage &c landed at the boat. We went down on one of the last loads about noon. Found a great number of troops, and several boats loaded with them at the levee. 100 day men all. The 40 th secured the Warsaw, a fine large boat, by pure strategy. The 59 th was on the Evening Star, the 41 st on the Enterprise-stern wheeler-the 45 th Iowa on the Argonaut. The 44 th Iowa afterward went on board the Memphis, which came down last night. She is no larger than the Warsaw, perhaps but reputed faster. Some of the 45 th left the Argonaught, and Cos. I and C came on the Warsaw-lower deck. Co. B. is on this deck, near the bow-rather low, but a good place after all, free from sun and rain, cinders &c. Had enough of hurricane deck coming down. Saw A.L. Bernard as I left. The other regts. all seemed to be drawing rations, and loading them, but we none. At length Field came and flew around and after delaying 2 or 3 hours, we had our hard-tack and pork brought. Field and his son are said to be left. Left Memphis at 2.15. The Enterprise and Evening Star started at the same time, but the Warsaw left them far behind. It was a grand sight. 5 regts. of "40 rod shots" leaving Memphis at once. Our boat made good time, and the weather was beautiful. Toward night the Memphis was seen in our wake, and gaining. She continued so till nearly dark when she stopped a few minutes. Started again and kept gaining. At last we were neck and neck and the excitement on both boats was intense. This continued for about 10 minutes, when the Warsaw was compelled to slack up to avoid running into a snag. The Memphis proudly swept by, and we saw her no more. We have soft crackers, and pork cooked, besides a generous allowance of fine pickles.

Sept 10 th

Ran all night. Good sleep, but woke up nearly 50 times. By sunrise we were were about 150 miles from Memphis-expect to reach Cairo this eve. It is generally thought we are to go to St. Louis as we came. Col. Butterick commander of the brigade, is on our boat. He would have preferred the 39 th had had this one however. Soft crackers and coffee and pork. Passed Island w? at 2-2.30 P.M. Hickman late in the P.M. and Columbus just at dusk. Landed for a moment as in coming down to report. Swarms of apple and news boys. Passed the Silver Wave after dark. Shouting from both sides. Reached Cairo by 9.30 and landed for ½ or ¾ hr. No privates allowed ashore and abundant guards posted. The col. And a large squad of Com. Officers piled over to the boat just above. When we shoved off Capt. Allen Co. B Lt.? Co. C. and the Sergt. Major were left. The Lt. Col. And Capt. Phelps barely saved themselves. A man fell overboard from the dock just as we landed. Body not found, and no exertions made to save him apparently.

Sept 11 th

Rain last night till between 1 and 2 when we stopped to wood at a bluff on the Mo. Side. The Omaha came in just after. Left Cairo soon after we did, and says the Silver Wave had come in. The 137 th Ills. was abroad her. They left Memphis on Thursday, but didn't run in the night. The Memphis stopped at Cairo-will return tomorrow. Don't know what became of the 44 th. Wooded for 2 or 3 hrs. and lay up until 5 A.M. The Omaha put out at the same time. Beautiful day. Passed 2 boats aground-the Fannie? And another. The Bertha was wooding above. River low and we ran slow. Passed Cape Girardeau about 9.30. About 11 came near getting stuck at Devils Island. Water very shallow. Scraped bottom several times. By continued soundings we escaped. Shall not see St. Louis today anyhow the boatmen say. Frequesnt soundings were necessary, and it was evident that all the bad places were not. ? About 1.20 we approached the well known "Liberty Shoals" just below Liberty Ills. where 2 stern-wheel boats were stuck and 4-2 stern and 2 side wheelers-landed unloading. The Warsaw landed about 2 miles below these, landed the greater part of the troops, and made the best of her way up, while the soldiers did the same. Apples, and salt cucumber pickles, were the chief edible relics. A long walk and a long wait. The boats were the Reserve and Imperial (Stern w.), Arago and Olive Branch. At last the Warsaw succeeded in getting thru and landed. We sent on after a delay of 2 hrs. Wooded before night on the Ill. Side. "Every man his load." One more bar, and then we ran with comparative speed. Passed the Post Bup? And other boats.

Sept 12 th

Ran last night till 1.30 and lay over until 5. Good breezes and cool. Passed Chester at 10 last night. 60 miles to St. L. from where we lay up. Wooded in the forenoon on the Ills. side. Raid on pickles as yesterday. Passed several boats. 35 miles from the wooding place. Reached St. L. at 2.30. Found Capt. Allen and Sergt. Major. No going ashore. Transferred to the David Tatum in about an hour. Left at 4.45. The Omaha came in with the 137 th Ills. just before we left. Cos B, C and I landed the rest stayed on board. Went around and had supper at the "Mercantile" Snatches of sleep.

Sept 13 th

Regt. started up by daylight and formed-then marched up Piasa between 3 rd and 4 th

(pp. 74-83=personal finances. Blaisdell received $101.20 or 99.20 and spent $71.70. He commented (p. 83), "By an inspection of the foregoing account it will be seen that about $15.50 was expended for something to eat, which shows that it's hungrier in the army than at home.")

Sts. Where we stacked arms. "Rammed around" again and bought out the town. Delay about cars. Met several Monticello people and went to see Atwood. Then was on guard on the levee. Awful hot. Felt unwell. Exasperating delay. Frequent rumors of despatches rec'd and trains coming. Toward night met Webster. Ordered to quarters by the patrols. Train had been picked up. Only boxcars after all. After the usual fussing the regt. was put on board, except Co. B for which there was no room. 2 cars for convalescents &c 2 nd class all-the rest box cars. Co. B marched to the "Front" and there waited an hour and half or so. Tedious and exasperating. At length 2 more cars were brought and we got on. Not half enough room then. 21 on the train before. As soon as we were on, began smashing the sides in for air. In a few minutes Chas. Called me. He and another had come. I got left and the 40 th went off cheering. Went to Belle St. and came near having trouble with patrols. At Monticello mother stopped at Mr. Yoeat's ?? although they are all full to suffocation. Chas and I came on. Reached Jerseyville 12.30.

Sept 14 th

Slept in a bed for the first time, and sat in a rocking chair. Very dull. Rammed around and saw folks a little. Made several calls &c. Left Jerseyville about 2 P.M. in a buggy and came to W (??) (M) via Piasu Township, but didn't have time to stop after all. However, saw Joel Signor and sent word to Elizabeth by him. At Monticello there was barely time to get off, and 1 big trunk was left. Train a little late. Left about 6 P.M.

Sept 15 th

Arr. Chicago 5.30 A.M. and had baggage sent to Wells St. depot (G. and C. N.) This R.R. is consolidated with the N.W. Left Chicago 9.30 Arr. Belvidere 1.30 and left without change of cars for Madison. Arr. Madison 4.30 without adventure. M. off. Halliday had "got left" at Beloit as I did in Alton. Fortunately the 40 th was not in Camp Randall, but on Main St. in Young's Block south of the P.O. i.e. Cos. F. D. and B. the rest dispersed similarly elsewhere. Found that my gun is missing but the accouterments are here. Henry says he saw it at the depot this A.M. Some other Co. had it.

Sept 16 th

The 3 Cos. Stayed all night in the store, F F being up stairs. In the course of the day the Quartermaster said we must go to Camp Randall, already full. Capt. wouldn't go without orders from the Major and so waited. Orders to clean up and turn over the guns today. All were busy on theirs. Self and 4 others wrote nearly all day helping Capt. make out muster rolls &c. Co. went to Camp in P.M. with with the others. We who were writing stayed. At camp Co D and B were crowded into Barrack 42, but D went mostly to the city. We eat supper out of Capts. Basket and wrote on.

Sept 17 th

Wrote till after 11 P.M. last night. The work is well advanced-hopes of being mustered out today. Turned over guns at camp, but the Col. Isn't here, and the Major won't receipt for them. Also turned over haversacks, knapsacks, and canteens. Found a broken gun in the place of mine. No bayonet. Great Democratic hullabaloo. Lt. Smith came from Clinton and Northrop went to Beloit. No Col. Further delay. No plans to put ? ? all straight. Lt. Smith gives me his gun and takes the broken one himself. Says Mother is at the Bushnell House still. No boarding place yet. Mrs. McArthur went to Chicago to day.

Sept 18 th

Found my gun among Co. D's-cleaned it up and turned it over. Some writing, and good deal of running. Papers pretty much complete. Talk of muster "tomorrow."

Sept 19 th

Nothing of consequence done all day, as nothing is to be and nothing is to be done. In the afternoon Capt. handed in Pay rolls to the proper officers. 1 st Co. and we are told that there will be no formal mustering out, but we shall get our pay tomorrow.

Sept 20 th

Rolls signed by col. Sitgreave, and we are "mustered out" then turned over to the Paymaster, who returned them because the amount was not set down opposite the stoppages. The Col. Said he would do it. Finally Capt. got the rolls and we did it ourselves in ½ hr. The Paymaster's computation nearly finished by shutting up time, and Co. ?'s begun on. A trip to the camp in the eve for the 1 st time. Some walk. $13 Co. fund. Boys up town and running around generally and the rest sick. Finally a meeting was called and the Co. fund voted to the Aid Society of Beloit, and the flag to the city to keep as a memorial of Co. B. Thought it was rather a fizzle, and went back to camp.

Sept 21 st

Rumors that we shall not be paid off until all the other Cos are through. The boys are much exasperated at the prospect. Finally the Capt. ordered every man to be on hand at 1.30 for roll-call when at 2.00 we would go to the Paymaster's office in a body. Great exultation. Had a roll call about two o'clock for the last time. A pretty good representation. Marched across the Capitol sq. to the City Hall. Co. D was on hand also, but we were in first. Went up the stairs and waited until our names were called again and we could not get them for a long time. Big meeting going on in the Capitol Yard. Cong. John Wentworth and S/G Doolittle. Those who were determined to go to Beloit went to the depot, without transportation or papers, but I was so busy I could not possibly get away. The Orderly was to bring them over, but he didn't come, and when he didn't it was six o'clock. He had taken them to the Quartermaster and had transportation furnished for 57 men to Beloit from Madison on the C. &N. W. R.R. Co. Whether we could go via Clinton or not was uncertain, and Orderly and I went to the depot on purpose to find out, but the ticket office was not open and nothing could be ascertained. All the boys were savage to go that night, except the Orderly and I who thought we had better wait. At length he yielded to their clamors, and we agreed to be on hand by 10 o'clock, for the 10.25 train. Went up town and heard Wentworth and Doolittle again and returned to the depot around 9.30. The orderly then found the transportation was worthless on the M. and Paule R.R. as we supposed, and posted up town to have it changed. Don't know what he did, but he returned while the train was on the track by the depot and said it was "all right". So we filed on board and found seats or stood up as we were able. A jam until Milton, where we changed cars, and by running and scrambling obtained pretty good seats. At Clinton change again. 4 trains-one from Beloit- a sort of passenger, which escaped before we knew it, and we were compelled to wait for a freight train-long and slow. We all jammed in the rear car, and after we once started rolled along, and in the course of an hour or so accomplished the 10 miles and reached Beloit. Slept in the depot the rest of the night- it was after 3.00 A.M. and in the morning went to Mrs. Collins near Mrs. Keeps where I found mother. The F__ts? Went to N.Y. the next day. There was the advertised picnic from Madison on the College grounds and everything was much as usual. Sat in chairs and slept in a bed!



The End of the 100 days

Back to Arthur H. Smith