Visa Information

Degree-seeking and exchange international students who gain admission to Beloit College will be issued a Form I-20 for an F-1 student visa or DS-2019 for a J-1 exchange visitor visa following confirmation of enrollment.

The Form I-20 for an F-1 student visa or a DS-2019 for a J-1 exchange visitor visa will be sent April-May for fall term enrollment, and in November-December for spring term enrollment. I-20 Forms will be sent electronically. DS-2019 Forms will be sent by mail.

What are the required fees associated with a student visa?

An international student must pay the following fees in order to apply for a student visa:

  • The SEVIS (I-901) fee
    • $350 for F-1 visa applicants
    • $220 for J-1 visa applicants
  • Visa application fee
    • The visa fee is determined according to your country of nationality.

What is the SEVIS fee (I-901)?

Your Form I-20 (F-1) or your Form DS-2019 (J-1) is issued through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), an electronic system operated by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program(SEVP). The I-901 SEVIS Fee is a fee charged by the United States Government to fund SEVIS and SEVP. The I-901 SEVIS Fee is different from the visa application fee, but also must be paid before you apply for your visa.

How do I pay the SEVIS fee?

You may pay the fee online at

For more information on how to pay the SEVIS fee, visit the Study in the States website, or watch this helpful video provided by Study in the States. 

You will need your passport, I-20 or DS-2019 form, and credit or debit card information to complete the payment. You will need to print or save a copy of your receipt after making your SEVIS payment.  

Visa Interviews

After paying your enrollment deposit, receiving the I-20, and paying the SEVIS fee (I-901), you can apply for a visa. Review the student visas page on, as well as the instructions at the website of the embassy or consulate where you will apply for a visa.

The Association of International Educators, NAFSA, has created a web resource providing helpful tips on preparing for your visa interview

Note for Canadian Citizens: Canadian citizens coming to the U.S. to study do not need to apply for a visa at a U.S. consulate. All other entry and status requirements remain the same. For further information, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s information for Canadian Students and for Canadians Entering the United States.

Other Helpful Resources

This site uses cookies to improve your experience. Read our Web Privacy Policy for more information.

Got it! ×