A tradition since 1958.
The Porter Scholar program is held in high esteem by residents of the Stateline area and the universities that enroll Porter Scholar alumni. Each year, high school seniors from the greater Beloit area are selected as Porter Scholars to enroll in one course at Beloit College each semester, tuition-free. Porter Scholars have the opportunity to study courses not available at their high schools—such as anthropology, sociology, geology, Russian, and Chinese—or to enrich their academic experience by studying their fields of interest at a higher level.
Who is eligible to be a Porter Scholar?
- High school juniors from partner high schools, who are ranked in the top 10% of their graduating class, and recommended for the program by the school counselor.
Benefits of the Porter Scholar Program
- Earn college credit tuition-free! Students only pay for books, course fees, and transportation to campus.
- Work closely with college faculty and prepare to be a college student yourself.
- Beloit College credits can be transferred to many accredited colleges.
- Porter Scholars who apply to Beloit as degree-seeking students can have an expedited application process.
- Porter Scholars who earn “B” grades or higher in one-unit Beloit College courses are eligible for the Porter Scholarship of $20,000 over four years if they enroll at Beloit College.
- Registered students receive a Beloit College ID and have access to the library, athletic facilities, and student discounts.
- The application is now open for the 20-21 school year. Click here to create an account and start an application.
- The application requires an essay, official high school transcripts, a school report, a teacher recommendation, and a parent recommendation.
- The online application and all supporting materials must be received by April 15, 2020.
- Notification to admitted Porter Scholars begins on June 15, 2020.