Resources & Opportunities
There’s plenty to do outside of the classroom.
Advising: Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC)
The Health Professions Advisory Committee provides advising for students interested in applying to graduate school for medical-based careers. The committee — a group of dedicated faculty and staff — will help keep you on track with required courses, as well as evaluate and write committee letters to medical schools.
Summer Research: Pakula Biomedical Fellowship Program
The Pakula Biomedical Fellowship Program allows a small number of students to work on campus for four or eight weeks over the summer. You’ll receive course credit, a stipend, and the chance to work one-on-one with a faculty member on developing and implementing a research project.
There are many opportunities outside of Beloit for health sciences research, including the National Science Foundation’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU). Pathways to Science is one of many databases where students can find substantial research opportunities for the summer.
Campus work opportunities
Possibilities include teaching assistant, greenhouse assistant, tutor, Resident Assistant, and much more!
Clubs and organizations
Explore the college’s many clubs and organizations, including:
- Beloit Urban Garden (BUG)
- Girls and Women in Science (GWIS)
- Pre-Health Professionals Club
- Sexual Health and Reproductive Choice Coalition (SHARCC)
- Beloit Public Health Initiative.
Internships and work experience opportunities
Many Beloiters find internships or paid work as Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs) or Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) in and around the Beloit area. A few other more-or-less local locations that Beloiters in health professions have earned credit for their internships include:
- Health Care Consumers, Champaign, IL
- Wisconsin Department of Health, Madison, WI
- Winnebago County Health Department, Rockford, IL
- Department of Health and Human Services- Office of Women’s Health, Chicago, IL
- University of Wisconsin- Madison Nutrition Education Program, Madison, WI
- Beloit Area Community Health Center, Beloit, WI