Residence Life Coordinator
The Residence Life Coordinator provides leadership and support for a cluster of residence halls and its Resident Assistant (RA) staff. Responsibilities include: supervise and build team among 15-17 student resident assistant staff, develop inclusive, supportive community among students in a cluster of halls/houses, respond to student conduct reports, support RA staff on educational and diversity programming and community support, and manage budgets accordingly, and serve in on-call duty and crisis management roles. In addition, the Residence Life Coordinator will partner with the Director of Student Leadership and Engagement to coordinate student engagement in campus events, student organizations, and college traditions.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops strong working relationships with the Senior Associate Dean of Students/Director of Residential Life, fellow Residence Life Coordinators, and other Student Life and campus staff members.
- Meets weekly and communicates with supervisor and residence life staff on an ongoing basis with regard to successes, concerns, and campus issues. Immediately communicates critical or emergency situations.
- As a member of the Dean of Students staff, participates in assigned student services functions, initiatives that foster an anti-racist/inclusive campus, on-call duty assignments, and training staff programs and conferences or other activities for professional development.
- As a Beloit College community member, counsels students about personal and campus matters, participates in the campus community, develops meaningful student relationships, provides support for students in crisis and refers all crisis and counseling situations to the appropriate staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Provides support for a cluster of residence halls/houses and corresponding resident assistants.
- Develops (with the RA staff) an inclusive, welcoming environment that is supportive of students’ academic and social development.
- Develops a strong working relationship with all RAs on the staff, especially those RAs in the assigned area.
- Attends and participates in all staff meetings, coordinates complex staff meetings with the Head RAs for the area.
- Assists in the selection, training, support and evaluation of the Resident Assistant staff.
- Provides direction for special projects and programs, and RA staff education.
- Provides support for RA staff in their role as counselor and community norm educator.
- Develops a working relationship with the housekeeping, food service, maintenance, and security staff.
- Provides assistance with the hall closing and opening activities.
- Works closely with the entire Residential Life staff on the staff selection and training processes.
- Meets every other week with each RA and weekly with each Head RA in your housing complex.
- Meets weekly with the Senior Associate Dean of Students/Director of Residential Life to discuss successes and concerns with projects and students.
- Manages budgets accordingly.
- Other duties as assigned.
In addition to the Residence Life Coordinator’s duties within the complex, Residence Life Coordinators also work on a collateral assignment. The collateral assignment is to partner with the Director of Student Leadership and Engagement to coordinate resident engagement in campus events, student organizations, and college traditions.
Credentials and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree desired in student affairs or counseling.
- Previous residence hall experience and work with students and student groups.
- Related supervisory and creative problem solving experience expected.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and counseling skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with persons of diverse socio-economic, racial/ethnic, international, and LGBTQ backgrounds, including knowledge and sensitivity about multicultural issues.
- Effective leadership, initiative, and ability to work with students and campus groups, administration, and staff are required.
- Lives on campus and gives time and assistance to residents as appropriate. Residence Life Coordinators are expected to become an active member of the residential community; especially in the hall/house community they manage. Evening work is part of the workday on many occasions.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
How to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To apply upload cover letter, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references