Beloit College honors Black History Month Feb. 1-28
We honor Black History Month this February with “A Service to Black Culture” theme of speakers, activities, and events.
Black History Month is a time to honor and celebrate the impact, contributions, and legacy of African Americans across the world.
African Americans have faced and resisted historic and ongoing oppression, in all forms, which include the racial terrorism of lynching, racial programs, police killings, limited access to the ballot box, and banning the teaching of Black history in our schools. Our hearts break with the killing of Tyre Nichols, but it is a reminder to stay vigilant.
We stand united in our resistance. We continue to fight for new legislation like the enactment of HR 40, the John Lewis Voting Rights Act, the Breathe Act, and the continued fight to close the racial wealth gap. The success of these requires us to mobilize our resources, human and material, and fight for freedom, justice, equality and/or social transformation.
With this month of programming, you are welcome to join us in the service of advancing and celebrating Black culture. Check out the upcoming events and find more information on the campus calendar:
History of Black Students at Beloit College
- Feb. 1 BSU Archive Night 7:30 p.m. (Library - Archives)
Power and Privilege
- Feb. 9 Lunch and Learn Careers in Social Justice, 12-1 p.m. Grace’s Place
- Feb. 9 Diversity CPR training 5 p.m. Grace’s Place
Feb. 10 Keynote speech Eddie Moore 5:30 p.m. Eaton Chapel
Title: Privilege, Power and Leadership
History of Black Cuisine
- Feb. 13 Soul food Lunch, 12-2 PM (Grace’s Place) Viewing of High on the Hog
Feb. 15 Student Presentation- Jada Daniel, 12-1 p.m. Grace’s Place
- Title: Served School Time and Manufactured Criminals: The socialization of Black Students in Chicago Public High Schools
Feb. 16 Student Art Exhibit—Jaida Wesley, 12-1 p.m. Grace’s Place
- Title: A Little Bit About Jay
- Feb. 23 Speed Networking and Career readiness. 5:30 p.m. Grace’s Place
Mental Health and Black Joy
Feb. 27 Keynote speech Vera Jones 5:30 p.m. Eaton Chapel
Title: Now I See: Moving from Blindness to Breakthrough in Mental Wellness
- Feb. 28 5V5 Basketball 7 p.m. Flood Arena