Summer Tutor Counselor
Tutor Counselor Position
June 16, 2014 – July 22, 2014
Beloit College Upward Bound is a pre-collegiate program working to generate the skills and motivation necessary for low income, first generation high school students to complete a college degree. Upward Bound consists of an academic year component and a six-week summer session of academic and cultural enrichment for 80 sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
Counselors are the primary caregivers for each camper for the duration of the 6 week summer component. This position is a classroom tutor for the duration of the 6 weeks and a live-in position for the last three weeks all while providing supervision, activities, mentoring and guidance to Upward Bound students. The Counselor is responsible for providing learning opportunities to support students’ academic and personal needs, supervision for the health and safety of participants, and assistance with disciplinary issues.
- 2 years of college experience preferred
- Leadership experience in high school and/or college
- Experience working with youth
- Working in a residential setting or similar program as Upward Bound preferred
- Must have strong communication skills, self – initiative, and professional boundaries
- Previous tutoring experience and similar background as participants preferred
- 3.0 GPA minimum is required
- Applicants should be responsible and mature
- Have enthusiasm, patience, and self-control
- Have a friendly demeanor
- Must have excellent character, integrity, and adaptability.
- Have the desire and ability to work in a cooperative, team-oriented atmosphere
PLEASE REFER ANY QUESTIONS TO:
Beloit College Upward Bound
700 College St
Beloit, WI 53511
Office: (608) 363-2723
Fax: (609) 363-2139