Beloit College seeks a Sustainability Coordinator to facilitate vision, planning, and ongoing support for sustainability efforts at Beloit College across all facets of the college’s curriculum, residential life, campus operations, and community partnerships.
Reporting to the provost, the coordinator will work closely with faculty and staff in launching Beloit’s new Pathways to Sustainability Leadership Program, a project-based approach that links learning opportunities with the creation and implementation of solutions in pressing areas of sustainability. Duties include developing course and residence-hall based learning modules and projects, mentoring students participating in the Sustainability Leadership program, contributing to the development of Beloit College’s sustainability plan, and assisting in the development of resources to support such activities.
The successful applicant will have 2-5 years of experience in sustainability-related activities, such as environmental education, energy and environmental management, or conservation communication and outreach. We especially seek candidates who have demonstrated success in working with diverse populations of students. Master’s degree required.
Inquiries may be addressed to Erica Daniels, Executive Assistant to the Provost, at VPAA@beloit.edu. Interested individuals should submit a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. The college will begin to review applications on October 16, 2013, and continue until the position is filled.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit College is a highly selective liberal arts college of approximately 1250 students from 48 states and 40 countries. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. Recognized as one of the Colleges that Change Lives, Beloit is committed to the educational benefits of diversity in our learning community and encourages all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
Pathways to Sustainability Leadership
The Beloit College Pathways to Sustainability Leadership is a new program that includes 1) embedding sustainability in the liberal learning of our students; 2) preparing our graduates to exercise environmental leadership in their careers through the development of expertise and individual agency around sustainability; 3) linking learning opportunities—including those associated with campus operations, residential living, and the greater Beloit community—with the creation and implementation of solutions in pressing areas of sustainability; and 4) through this synergy, promoting an intentional long-term approach to sustainable living more broadly and deeply among our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the larger community.
The Sustainability Coordinator will:
- Facilitate sustainability activities by teaching courses, consulting on course modules and projects, organizing reading groups, hosting campus visitors, or coordinating all-college events.
- Integrate sustainability themes into the college curriculum with a goal of increasing courses with a sustainability component.
- Help motivate all members of the campus community toward sustainability initiatives through project-based activities, including artistic and creative work, local history, and those linking local issues to regional, national, and international sustainability efforts.
- Mentor Sustainability Citizens, Sustainability Fellows, and Sustainability Leaders.
- Convene the Sustainability Council composed of students, faculty, and staff to provide communication across the college’s sustainability efforts and align efforts.
- Set goals for and evaluate the outcomes of sustainability initiatives, including through the development of Beloit College’s Sustainability Plan, which sets clear goals for a sustainable future at the college and long-term pathways for achieving those goals.
- Seek out and foster relationships with community and regional partners.
- Organize and document the range of sustainability efforts and their results, as well as the progress towards goals set in College’s Sustainability Plan.
- Disseminate the results of campus and community sustainability activities and share insights and skills acquired through these activities with diverse audiences.
- Monitor, track, and report on sustainability data in collaboration with the Offices of Institutional Research, Assessment and Planning, Communications and Marketing, and Admissions.
- Develop, in consultation with the Offices of Government and Foundation Relations and Development, proposals for support of new initiatives.
The Sustainability Coordinator will have:
- Deep knowledge of the social, economic, and environmental aspects of sustainability, including activities in higher education or other similar institutional settings.
- Ability to prioritize and manage work independently and to work on many projects simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Capacity to synthesize complex material and to communicate it clearly and succinctly.
- High degree of professionalism and teamwork skills, including an ability to collaborate with a variety of entities and individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission and goals of a residential learning community and a willingness to play an active role in the life of the College.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
Return to Sustainability at Beloit College