Bulk Mailing Guidelines
- Minimum 200 pieces or 50 pounds.
- Must be in zip code order with labels facing front, lowest number to highest.
- Newsletters and/or pieces that are made of folded paper and being sent without an envelope must meet certain processing guidelines, such as which direction the address label is placed in relation to the fold or where the sealing tabs are placed. If you have questions, contact the Print Shop or consult with the local Post Office prior to designing and printing your piece.
- No foreign pieces.
- Utilize campus mail when sending to someone with a campus box number.
- Certain pieces may require a surcharge - contact the Post Office or Print Shop (x2217) before designing or printing if you are not sure.
- Sororities and fraternities cannot use the Beloit College bulk mail permit.
- Bulk mailing pieces must be identical in content; you may not add more to one piece than another.
- No piece or pieces should be put in U.S. mail by itself. They need to be mailed in a group of 200 pieces or more. If some of the printed pieces are to be used any other way than a bulk mailing, the indicia must be covered up or an “X” put through it.
- Envelopes must be sealed before bringing to the Print Shop.
- All bulk mailings for the College must be processed at the Print Shop before going to the Post Office. If a large mailing is being done at an outside mail house please notify the Print Shop of the cost of the postage and have the mail house send an extra copy of the paper work for the Post Office to the Print Shop. This insures that we have enough postage at the Post Office for the mailing to go out and keeps our records with the Post Office up to date.
NCOA Bulk Mail Criteria
In an effort to reduce the amount of undeliverable mail, the USPS has mandated that all automation discount mail (First Class and Standard Presort) must be processed through the NCOA (National Change of Address) database.
Every bulk (standard) mailing must meet one of the following criteria:
- Be NCOA certified (which would have to be done at a mailing house because they would have access to this service for most current mailing addresses). This is valid for 95 days, so multiple mailings can be done within this time so long as you provide proof. A fee is charged for this service.
- Add "Return Service Requested", "Change Service Requested", or "Address Service Requested". There are different costs and requirements for each option. This is printed under the return address in the upper left corner. You would be charged a fee to receive the new address for your records with this service.
- Least expensive option: On your address labels put the person's name and then on the next line include "Or CURRENT RESIDENT." This is the easiest solution and the cheapest solution as it allows the postal person to deliver the mail and not have it returned or go through any special processing.
We cannot send out a bulk mailing from the Print Shop without one of these criteria being met.