Turkey Exchange Program
Yeditepe University, Istanbul
Study with Turkish students in the only city located on two continents!
- Spring semester or academic year. Fall under exceptional circumstances.
- Students choose 5 classes from courses recommended for international students in Arts and Sciences, Fine Arts, Economics and Administrative Science, Languages
- Beginning Turkish for foreigners
- Most courses equal .75 Beloit units
- Housing is in double rooms with private baths in residence halls on campus
- Costs: Beloit College tuition, and room, the Beloit activities fee and a $50 overseas administrative fee. Students purchase meals in campus cafeterias and snack bars or in nearby restaurants.
- No prior study of Turkish required, although enrollment in Beloit’s self-instruction course in Turkish is recommended in semesters when the course is offered
- One or more courses relating to the history, society, culture, or politics of the region
- Program highlights:
- Live in a secular country with a predominantly Muslim population that spans East and West as well as tradition and modernity. Learn Turkish perspectives on contemporary and historical issues and explore a country with a rich history, vibrant cultural traditions, magnificent architecture and archaeology that is also a regional power and strategic partner for the U.S. and Europe.
Learn more on the Yeditepe University website here.
Credits are on the US Semester Hour system
1 credit = .25 Beloit Units
photo of the campus from the Yeditepe website
Suggested Pre-departure Resources, by Abigail Bohstedt'13
Lonely Planet Turkey 2012
An Evil Eye by Jason Goodwin
Constantinople: City of the World’s Desire by Philip Mansel
Portrait of a Turkish Family by Irfan Orga
Magic Bus: On the Hippie Trail From Istanbul to India by Rory MacLean
Istanbul: Memories and the City by Orhan Pamuk
Brief biography of Kemal Ataturk, from history.com