Hungary Exchange Program
Study at József Eötvös Collégium in Budapest
Students study at the Collégium, an academically elite college of the Eötvös University (ELTE), Hungary’s primary institution of higher education.
- Fall semester
- Hungarian Language, Hungarian History and Literature, Hungarian Culture and Society, and a Research Project of the student’s choice supervised by an ELTE faculty member.
- Students may elect to take an additional course through the Collégium’s Anglo-American Workshop, or at the university.
- Courses are in English, primarily with Beloit program students, and are worth 1 Beloit unit.
- Housing is in the Collégium, sharing a room with 1 or 2 Hungarian roommates. The hall has a male and female wing, each with a kitchen for preparing meals.
- Costs: Beloit College tuition, room, the Beloit activities fee, $50 overseas administrative fee, and a $90 wellness fee. Students are responsible for bearing the costs of their own meals while in Hungary.
- A course in Hungarian language and culture offered at Beloit before studying in Hungary is strongly recommended.
- Previous coursework in which students have been able to focus on Hungary is strongly recommended.
- Program highlights: Live in and explore Budapest, a rich cultural treasure, work with a research advisor on a topic you choose in humanities, social sciences or math and natural sciences, learn Hungarian perspectives on your fields of study, gain insight into Central European history and culture, easy access by public transportation to many historical and cultural attractions in the region. Beloit College students frequently serve as native speaker resources for the Collégium’s advanced English language courses.
Grades: US System
Credits: Course Beloit Units Intensive Hungarian Language Course 1.0 Introduction to Hungarian History 0.5 Introduction to Hungarian Culture and the Arts 0.5 Introduction to Hungarian Society 0.5 Introduction to Hungarian Literature 0.5 EFL- Methodology Foundation Course 1 0.25 Individual Research Project