Ecuador Exchange Program
Students study at one of two campuses of the Universidad San Fransisco de Quito: Cumbaya campus in Quito or at the Galápagos Academic Institute for the Arts & Sciences (GAIAS) in the Galápagos islands.
- Fall or spring. There is also an academic year option for Quito
- Quito: Enroll directly in regular university courses with Ecuadorians and other visiting students. Courses are generally worth .75 Beloit units and are taught in Spanish. Most disciplines are available including music, studio art and lab sciences.
- GAIAS: Three-week orientation in Quito includes the first of 5 modular courses. In the Galápagos students enroll in 4 additional modular courses focusing on 1) evolution ecology and conservation, 2) people politics and environment, or 3) marine ecology. Each course is worth .75 unit. Coursework is in English and includes classroom and field learning.
- Grades are awarded using the US system of A-F.
- Housing in both locations is with host families.
- Costs: Beloit College tuition, room and board, the Beloit activities fee and a $50 overseas administrative fee.
- Two years of college Spanish (or equivalent) required, more Spanish is preferable. Foundation in art or art history for those courses in Quito.
- GAIAS requires a 3.0 gpa.
- Program highlights: Study Spanish and Quichua Ecuadorian cultures, volunteer opportunities, field study opportunities in the Galápagos, host family stay.