Programs in the Arts
London & Florence: Arts in Context
The London & Florence Program offers students the opportunity to spend a semester living and studying in two of the world’s most important and exciting cultural capitals. The program focuses on the arts that have made these two cities central to the heritage of the West: visual arts, architecture, painting, sculpture, theatre, and literature. Students spend half of the semester in Florence, and the other half in London. All students take a required Italian language course (with an additional 3 weeks of intensive language for students starting in Florence), along with several other courses primarily focused on the arts and history.
- Spring semester
- Curriculum – Florence
- Italian language. Multiple levels available. (2 or 5 credits)
- Art and Culture in Renaissance Florence (3 credits)
- Florentia and Firenze: Ancient Rome and Classical Mythology in Modern Florence (4 credits)
- Curriculum – London
- London as a Visual Text (4 credits)
- Literary and Theatrical London (4 credits)
- Housing: Host families (Florence) & Apartment (London)
- Florence first option:
- Beloit College students: Beloit College tuition, room and board (double room), the Beloit activities fee, and a $50 overseas administrative fee. Note: Beloit College students pay a tuition surcharge to participate in this program.
- ACM students: $15,800 plus $6,400 program fee covering room, board, and excursions
- Non-ACM students: $17,600 plus $6,400 program fee covering room, board, and excursions
- London first option:
- ACM students: $14,000 plus $5,200 program fee covering room, board, and excursions
- Non-ACM students: $15,600 plus $5,200 program fee covering room, board, and excursions
- Florence first option:
- Eligibility: No prerequisites.
- Application procedures:
- Beloit College students apply using the StudioAbroad application system
- Non-Beloit students submit applications to the Associated Colleges of the Midwest
- Program highlights: Students experience both London and Florence in one semester; Students starting in Florence first have additional 3 weeks of intensive Italian language; excursions to other sites in Italy and England
The Beloit College Florence Program is registered with the Italian Ministry of Education and recognized as an American institution of higher education in Italy. Beloit College is a member of the Associated Colleges of the Midwest (ACM) and the Program welcomes students from each ACM college as participants in the program through this academic affiliation.