Student Symposium is taking place tomorrow, April 17. Click here for details, schedule.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) Checklist
F-1 OFF-CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT: OPTIONAL PRACTICAL TRAINING
Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows you to gain experience in your field of study prior to or after graduation. You are eligible for 12 months of OPT for each higher education level that you finish, i.e. 12 months of OPT for BA, 12 months for MA, and 18 months for PhD. You continue to be an F-1 student while on OPT, and Beloit College is responsible for updating SEVIS with any changes in your address, or if you terminate your OPT.
It is your responsibility to inform OIE of these changes.
Authorization for OPT is granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Processing time is generally 100 days.
Checklist for the OPT application
___ Copy of updated I-20 with OPT authorization
___ Form I-765, completed and signed
___ Two color passport-style photographs
___ Copies of all previous I-20s
___ Copy of the name page and photo page of your passport and visa page
___ Copy of any previous Employment Authorization Documents (front and back)
___ Copy of I-94 card (front and back)
___ Check or money order for US $380 made payable to “Department of Homeland Security”
Guidelines for the “Two Passport Style” photos
- The photos taken by Residence Life are not appropriate for this application.
- Head should be positioned directly facing the camera
- Photo should capture from slightly above top of hair to middle of chest
- Eyes should be open and looking at the camera
- Glare on eyeglasses can usually be avoided with a slight upward or downward tilt of the head
- Background should be plain white or off-white
- Include headpieces if worn daily for religious purposes; they should not obscure or cast shadows on the eyes or any other part of the face
- Photos should be taken within the last 30 days prior to OPT application appointment
- Complete all “Checklist” items.
- Call OIE (363-2659) to make an appointment.
Office of International Education
717 Chapin Street Beloit, WI 53511
Hours / Phone: 608-363-2659