Accepted students enroll in tuition-free classes
MEDIA CONTACT: Hilary Dickinson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-363-2849
Classes at Beloit College have begun, and among the approximately 1,300 students are 53 area high school students. As Porter Scholars, they will take one course at Beloit College in the fall and spring, tuition-free.
From Linear Algebra, Psychological Disorders and Elementary Russian to Ballet, Intro to Legal Studies and Principles of Economics, the Porter Scholars will explore fields not available at their own schools or enrich their academic experience through higher-level studies in other fields of interests. In working closely with college faculty and Beloit College students, they will also be preparing to become successful college students themselves.
To qualify as a Porter Scholar, students must rank in the top 10 percent of their class and be recommended by their high school counselor.
This year’s Porter Scholars come from 12 high schools. They are as follows:
- Twenty-three students from Beloit Memorial High School: Savannah Cain, Yuma Carpenter-New, Megan Corum, Carlos Diaz, Michelle Ellis, Joseph Garetson, Adriana Garsow, Emily Gianvecchio, Asia Johnson, Andrew Loftus, Morgan Makinen, Alyssa Mianecki, Lina Ngo, Morgan Poepping, Jesse Porter, Julie Rounds, Caleb Schober, Kara Socha, McKenzie Wessell-Woodcock, Richard Williams and Katherine Zibert of Beloit, Wis.; Darby Hoffman of Janesville, Wis.; and Diane Meason of Rockton, Ill.
- Two students from Big Foot High School: Hannah Ripkey of Fontana, Wis., and Tessa Ritchey of Walworth, Wis
- Two students from Brodhead High School: Mallory McGinty and Hannah Savage of Brodhead, Wis.
- Five students from Clinton High School: Rachel Enright, Claire Hahn, Nicholas Hubner and Jacob Marchillo of Clinton, Wis., and Morgan Jones of Beloit, Wis.
- One student from Edgerton Senior High School: Brianna Gonzalez of Edgerton, Wis.
- One student from Evansville High School: Tristan Watson of Evansville, Wis.
- Two students from F.J. Turner High School: Lindsey Lauterbach and Katherine McCarthy of Beloit, Wis.
- Four students from Harlem High School: Miranda Gray and Joseph Miller of Loves Park, Ill., and Abraham Herrera and Teodora Lojanica of Machesney Park, Ill.
- Six students from Hononegah Community High School: Emily Ahrens, Samuel Collins and Jacob Rieker of Roscoe, Ill., and Heather Collman, Sydney Kidd and Noelle Voigt of Rockton, Ill.
- Three students from North Boone High School: Joshua Herrmann, Leslie Marcus and Renee Martin of Poplar Grove, Ill.
- Two students from Rock County Christian School: Avery Befus and Tanner Gonzales of Beloit, Wis.
- Two students from South Beloit High School: Adam Hubb and Paul Wilson of South Beloit, Ill.
For more information on the Porter Scholars Program, click here.