German Major (12 units)
1. Eight departmental units (above German 110).
2. Supporting courses (4 units). Choose one of the three options available:
a. Four courses chosen from histories of philosophy, science, art, music; Western civilization; comparative literature; English; history; political science; or the literatures of Spain, France, Italy, and Russia.
b. Double majors are encouraged, and in such cases required courses in the other majors are acceptable as supporting courses toward a major in German.
c. The student may submit a proposal to the major advisor for an individual plan of courses for meeting the requirement of four supporting courses.
3. Majors normally spend one semester in Germany on the Beloit College Erfurt exchange or on an equivalent program in Austria or Switzerland. With the consent of the advisor, some courses completed abroad may be used to count toward the major.
4. Majors are encouraged to live at least one semester in the German House.
5. Writing/Communication requirement: see East Asian Languages and Cultures.