What is the Liberal Arts in Practice Center?
Practitioners of the liberal arts synthesize knowledge and experience, are able to transfer it to new settings, and through reflection and self-assessment, build on prior experiences to ethically and thoughtfully confront new challenges and take full advantage of new opportunities.
The Liberal Arts in Practice Center serves as a clearinghouse of opportunities to practice the liberal arts by providing information about available options and who to talk to in order to pursue those options. The Center is also designed to be a catalyst for advancing a liberal arts in practice approach to learning. The Liberal Arts in Practice Center is staffed by professionals who can give good advice about how to locate, structure, and leverage liberal arts in practice experiences. Center staff will be more than happy to consult with you about how to get the most out of your Beloit College education.
Below is an illustration of the developmental trajectory we aim for our students to move through during their time at Beloit. By participating in one or multiple entry points during your first year, you develop the agency to take charge of your college experience. With thoughtful planning, you can in engage in educational experiences inside and outside the classroom that connect and build on each other. Reflection allows you to deepen your learning in various contexts. This ultimately allows you to transfer your learning across subjects and situations. At the heart of all of this is a focus on the strong advising relationship between students and faculty.
- What the liberal arts in practice is and how can it help you meet your academic and professional goals,
- How to learn from interactions with the community including basic information about the Beloit area, the basics of community-based pedagogy and ethical considerations,
- How to find and create opportunities for volunteering, internships, jobs and funding,
- The basics of cover letters, resumes, interviews, online presence and other forms of professional communication,
- Presentations focused on particular class assignments.
Contact us to discuss your specific course or interests.