The Summer Languages Program
We are now accepting applications for all of our summer 2014 immersion programs. Start your application today!
Languages We Offer
The Center offers four- and eight-week programs in four critical-need languages: Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Russian. CLS also offers an intensive program in English as a Second Language, specifically designed for international students who intend to live and study in the United States.
At the successful conclusion of each eight-week summer language program, students will have completed the equivalent of one year of college-level language study and are prepared to enter the next year of study at most colleges and universities.
Students successfully completing the first four-week session will earn the equivalent of the first semester of language study for that particular level. Students successfully completing the second four-week session will earn the equivalent of the second semester of language study for that particular level.The second session does not duplicate material covered in the first session.
Students who complete either the four- or eight-week sessions successfully will receive Beloit College credit.
If you are serious about learning a language, consider one of the nation's finest summer intensive language programs - the Center for Language Studies at Beloit College. Our program aims to expand your understanding of a fascinating world culture as you move toward mastering the language it envelops: language and culture go hand in hand. Success in the program better positions you to assume confident, active citizenship in a thoroughly interdependent world. It prepares you to engage a part of that world on its own terms, in its own language, through its own cultural sensitivities.
Your study of language and culture at Beloit is carried out in partnership with devoted, excellent teachers. It takes place in a glorious Wisconsin summer, on a beautiful campus, among people who have come together because they love to learn and teach. Our program's distinctive features include:
- Flexibility of eight-week or four-week sessions
- 22 hours of classroom instruction per week, plus evening tutorials
- Twelve semester hours of academic credit for the eight week course in any of the four government-designated, critical-need languages; eight semester hours of academic credit for the eight-week course in ESL
- Small classes with a maximum of twelve students (average class size is 8)
- Superb language teachers
- A seamless environment of teacher-student interaction in the language, inside and outside the classroom
- Language conversation tables at lunch and dinner
- Comfortable housing with others studying the same language
- A friendly, inviting setting conducive to concentrated study
- A rare opportunity to focus on one thing: the study of language
Who Can Attend?
Our programs are open to domestic and international undergraduate, graduate, and professional students; advanced high school students (17 minimum age limit with exceptions made on a case by case basis by the Office of Summer Programs); educators; business persons; and adults interested in language study for academic purposes, career and personal enrichment. The Center for Language Studies is ideal for people preparing to work or study abroad.