It’s the official start to the academic year, taking place today (Monday, Aug. 25) at 4:30 p.m. in Eaton Chapel. Here’s what you need to know:
- If you’re a member of the faculty (note: this one only applies to non-current-FYI-teaching-faculty) or academic staff marching in the procession, meet at 4:10 p.m. in front of Commons, in Chapin Quad. Not sure if you’re marching? Check your beloit.edu inbox for the marching list.
- All FYI leaders and their first-year students should assemble on the west side of College Street, between TKE and the library, by 4:10 p.m. After the procession passes by, the FYI leaders and students will follow the faculty/staff into Eaton Chapel.
- In the event of rain, the line-up will occur in the library.
Kicking off at 4:30 p.m., Provost and Dean of the College Ann Davies will preside over the afternoon’s events:
- a welcome from President Scott Bierman
- student observations from the college’s 168th year, by Cameron Dieter’16
- performances from student a capella group Bits and Pieces
- the convocation address, "‘I Dream Awake:’ Meaning and Passion for Living Through the Liberal Arts," by Associate Professor of History Beatrice McKenzie
- musical performances by Max Yount and Paul Stanley
Cap and Gowns:
Haven’t gotten your cap and gown? Pick it up at the Communications & Marketing Office at 651 College Street; you can return it after convocation.
The after party:
Faculty and staff are invited to the President’s House for a welcome back reception immediately following Convocation.