Applications are invited from graduating seniors to teach English at Beloit College's partner in Kaifeng, China, Henan University.
English teachers hold full responsibility for teaching English to university students. Students may be English majors as well as students taking English to fulfill general education requirements. Teaching schedules typically involve 14-plus hours of teaching/week, plus preparation, with class sizes averaging approximately 40 students. While teachers are expected to prepare their students to meet particular learning outcomes, they have considerable flexibility in how they approach this task. This is, therefore, a wonderful and challenging opportunity for recent graduates to put their liberal arts education into practice.
- native speakers of English with good academic records
- flexibility, adaptability, and the ability to cope productively with ambiguity
Note: Applicants need not be English majors, but must be adept readers, speakers, and writers of English. Applicants do not need to have studied Chinese, although some knowledge of Chinese can be an asset on site.
- Prior teaching experience: tutoring, service as a teaching assistant, classroom teaching
- Enrollment in or completion of one or more courses in teaching English as a foreign language
Applicants who have not had two years of teaching and/or completed a certificate or degree program in teaching English as a foreign language must enroll in a one-week training program in late August. This training will take place in Beijing. Henan University will cover the tuition cost of the training, but teachers will be responsible for their room and board for the period of the training.
- Monthly stipend of $600
- Accommodation in campus apartments (one teacher/apartment)
- Round-trip airfare
- Friday, Feb. 28: Application deadline
- Monday and Tuesday, March 17 and 18: Interviews. March 17, 3 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. March 18, 4 p.m.-6 p.m.
- Late August-July: teaching appointment
To submit an application:
Send, by 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 28, as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Henan University English Teaching" in the subject line:
- Unofficial transcript
- Statement of teaching interest
- Statement on how this opportunity builds on the applicants’ studies and other prior experiences and prepares them for future endeavors