As winter break winds to a close, the college’s instructional technology department has several announcements/learning opportunities that might aid faculty and staff in planning for the upcoming spring semester.
Next week, IT will offer two opportunities for learning more about Moodle; one will be for new users, and offer the basics, while the other will be for troubleshooting specific questions.
- Thursday, Jan. 16: Moodle learning session on basic navigation and course customization for new users, beginning at 1 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 16: An open session for troubleshooting specific Moodle questions, beginning at 2:30 p.m.
Both sessions will take place in Morse-Ingersoll Room 107; to RSVP, email Jedidiah Rex at email@example.com. Can’t make it? Contact IT about setting up a meeting at another time.
Richardson Auditorium updated
Did you know: the hardware used in this auditorium now communicates digitally? What does this mean for faculty and staff who teach in this space? For starters, it will not support older technology like VHS and VCR. This switch to new technology is a trend you’ll see cropping up in other spaces on campus as well.
If you need to make use of teaching materials (VHS tapes, for example) that are not supported by this new technology, you have several options:
- Contact the library to see if it is possible to borrow or purchase a copy of the material in another supported format.
- Contact Instructional Technology to help you convert appropriate portions of materials using the equipment in the Innovation Space. They are happy to train anyone on how to capture clips from older formats and convert them to a supported format. It is currently possible to convert from VHS, Mini-DV, slide photograph, and LP to digital formats with the equipment in the Innovation Space.
- In cases where large portions or the entire content must be viewed, consider placing VHS materials on reserve and instructing individuals/groups to view the content outside of class using the technology still available on the library's lower level - group viewing with wireless headsets is located on the south side and individual/paired viewing at the cubes outside of the Learning Studio.