Monday at 6:30 p.m., Beloit College Democrats and the political science department will co-host (in part) a public forum and panel discussion in the Science Center Atrium. “Whatever Happened to Good Government in Wisconsin? And How Can We Fix it?” will include insights from the following panelists:
- State Senator Tim Cullen (D-Janesville)
- Former State Senator Tim Weeden (R-Beloit)
- Bill Barth, editor of the Beloit Daily News
- Political Science Professor Georgia Duerst-Lahti of Beloit College
- Common Cause Wisconsin Executive Director Jay Heck
Professor Beatrice McKenzie will moderate the discussion.
The topics under discussion will include:
- Disclosure of interest-group “phony issue ads” and other “outside” spending—is this necessary or would it stifle “free speech”?
- How is the U.S. Supreme Court decision on Citizens United vs F.E.C affecting Wisconsin?
- Will the new Voter Photo ID suppress voter fraud or voters?
- Public Financing of our state elections needed?
- Should we elect or appoint Wisconsin's Supreme Court Justices?