On Friday, the Beloit athletics department welcomed all the first-year students who will be playing on the men’s and women’s soccer teams, the women’s tennis team, and the volleyball team.
“The whole team is excited about the incoming class,” said head men’s soccer coach Tim Schmiechen. “We’ve got good players from all over the country and the world. We’re really looking forward to starting the new year.”
The men’s soccer team will be joined by eight first-years hailing from locales including Ecuador, Colorado, Massachusetts, and New York City.
Nine first-years from the likes of Missouri, Minnesota, and Illinois will also be playing soccer on head coach Liz Bartley’s team.
The new head women’s tennis coach, Kara Amundson, will be coaching a team including eight first-years, coming to the team from as far as China.
The volleyball team coached by Dawn Redd (pictured above, facing camera) will welcome six new players. Among them will be a player originally from France, by way of Beloit.
“My mom was an alumna, so I’ve wanted to come to Beloit since I was 5,” said Andreina Patilliet, who currently lives in Beloit but moved from France with her family in 2004. She is the daughter of Julieta Posla’69, a diplomat.
All four teams began practice Saturday in preparation for their first games.
- The men’s soccer team will compete against St. Mary’s University at home on Thursday (Aug. 23) at 5 p.m. in a scrimmage.
- The women’s soccer team will square off against Concordia University at home on Friday (Aug. 24) at 4:30 p.m. in a scrimmage.
- The women’s tennis team will play Loras College at home on Aug. 30 at 4 p.m.
- The volleyball team will play Hamline University and Macalester College at home on Aug. 31 at 4:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m., respectively.
- Meanwhile, members of the football team arrived on Aug. 10 and have been practicing since. The football team will play University of Chicago on Sept. 1 at 6 p.m. in Chicago.