Work toward the powerhouse project continues. (read more)
THE SPORTS CENTER
[Flood Arena Crowd]
Flood Arena was the centerpiece of the new Beloit College Sports Center when it was dedicated on February 6, 1987. Previously, the Bucs had played their games in the Marvin Field House, which was built in 1947. Named after James (class of ‘49) and Joan Dahlquist (class of ‘47) Flood, who provided the lead gift for the construction of the facility, “The Flood” features three full-sized basketball courts when fully open. It has seating for 2,250 when both large bleacher sections are pulled out to the main court. In the Fall of 2007, the Arena was re-painted and the Floods made an additional donation to fund two large main court scoreboards as well as scoreboards on each side court, buzzer-activated, lighted backboards and new baseline padding. In addition, the sound system was upgraded and enhanced lighting fixtures installed. During the summer of 2010 the floor was redone, featuring new logo work.
The six-lane, 25-yard facility was constructed in 1956. Renovation was done in 1989, thanks to a grant from the Kresge Foundation. A new observation window on the main floor of the Sports Center was added at that time. There is spectator seating for approximately 200 on the South side of the pool.
STRONG STADIUM COMPLEX
[Strong Complex-Drone](The Strong Stadium Complex, which is home to Buccaneer Football, Baseball, Tennis, Softball and Soccer, is located east of the College. Take Chapin Street East, which leads directly into the Stadium Complex.)
[Karris Track at Strong Stadium]
[Strong Stadium Field]
Since the 1934 season, the Buccaneers have called Strong Stadium their home. Located just a few blocks east of the Beloit College campus, the stadium was a gift of Mrs. Josephine Strong in memory of her husband, Walter Ansel Strong (‘05), a trustee of the college for almost two decades and the former publisher of The Chicago Daily News. Given Mr. Strong’s long and supportive relationship with his Alma mater, as well as his interest in athletics, it seemed most fitting that the stadium be named in his memory after his sudden death in 1931. The site was known as Keep Field from 1890-1915 and then Hancock Field from 1915-34 before gaining the name it has had for 70-plus years. As designed by Maurice Webster, Mrs. Strong’s brother, the stadium’s contemporary poured concrete construction and series of intriguing ramps and passages represented a sharp departure from the Victorian and Georgian facades of most previous campus architecture. The then-1,600 seat stadium was dedicated on October 13, 1934, with much fanfare and served two years later as the setting for the city’s centennial observance for several nights running. Besides football contests, the stadium also hosted the Beloit Relays, a premier midwestern college track & field meet which was initiated in 1937, as well as serving as an outdoor cathedral for religious services held in conjunction with a national meeting of Congregational and Christian church delegates. Over time, improvements were gradually made, including updated locker rooms and heating and cooling systems in 1964. Gradually, the stadium capacity has been increased to its present 3,000-seat setting, necessary especially for the always large Homecoming Game crowds each Fall. During the Summer of 2011, the Stadium received a major upgrade with the installation of a turf field and a new track. The Stadium stands were also cleaned and repainted. The upgrade is thanks to $3.7 million in donations provided by a small group of alumni, friends and parents of Beloit students
[Baseball Field Web.jpg]
The Ballpark at Strong Stadium
The Buccaneers have called The Ballpark at Strong Stadium home since the Strong Stadium complex’s renovation in 2000. Prior to that time Beloit played it’s home games at Pohlman Field in Beloit, now the home of the Class A Beloit Snappers, an affiliate of the Minnesota Twins. The field measures 315 down both lines, 360 in the gaps and 380 to the centerfield fence. During the Fall of 2008 members of the Baseball squad installed permanent wind breaks in the outfield fencing. Through donations spurred by the Buccaneer Baseball Dugout Club, a new scoreboard was installed prior to the 2010 season, replacing one that had been in use since the field’s inception. In addition, new distance markers were put up through the outfield.
[Softball Field Web.jpg]
Strong Complex Softball Field
Built in 2000, the field is 200 feet to all fields. It has seating for 60 fans as well as room down both the left and right-field lines and behind the outfield fences.
[Tennis Courts Web.jpg]
Strong Complex Tennis Courts
First used in 2007, the facility features six courts plus seating for 60.
[Strong Complex Soccer Field]
Strong Complex Soccer Field
The Strong Complex Soccer Field is used by both the Buccaneer Men's and Women's teams. Previously used by just the Women's team while the Men's squad used the field to the east, 2011 marked the first season it was used as the primary game-field for both teams. It features a new scoreboard, covered benchs for both home and visitors and seating for 75 in addition to plenty of area along the west sideline for additional fans. In the Fall of 2014 it was enhanced with decorative berms on two corners and behind each goal, thanks to the efforts of the 1889 Council.