Banner Image

Smith Observatory

Ground Broken: June 29, 1881
Dedication: June 27, 1883
Cost: $22,000 (including equipment)
Named: for John F. Smith (a gift from Janette S. Herrick as a memorial to her brother)
Uses: observatory, student coffee house (1967-1969)
Razed: April 1969

College Archivist Fred Burwell wrote about the history of the building in his Fridays with Fred Terrarium article, "The Science Behind Smith Observatory".