Banner Image

President's House/Chapin House

Built:1851
Renovated: 1869-President Chapin added a portico to the house. 1877-78 enlarged and remodeled in a Victorian manner. In 1937-38 a electric kitchen was added, rooms were enlarged and redecorated, a new heating system was installed and the outside architecture reflected more Georgian architecture.
Uses: Originally the home of the Aaron L. Chapin family. Donated by his daughter Ellen Chapin in 1937. President Irving Maurer was the first president after Chapin to reside in the house. It has since then housed every president of the college.